RAV-4 mystery....

Can anyone shed light, please? I'm fishing wires around the rear end of my 2002 RAV for a trailer hookup, and I discover a curious lump - plastic, roughly cubical, blue/green, about 1.5"x1.5"x1" loosely (but securely) attached to the interior body metalwork inside the top, left corner of the triangular aperture which gives access to the left, rear light cluster (ie: to the side-corner of the body beside the rear-door hinges.

Inspection-mirror + light shows some wires going to the rear side of the lump, and there *may* be a detachable cover at the front which might reveal pins. Could it be a trailer-hookup connector? That would be nice...

Or, what is it? Can't (yet) detach it, and its wires seem short, so it might not gain me much, visibility-wise. The wires seem to enter the rear wiring-harness, however.

TIA for any clues! Geoff.

Reply to
Geoff

Ooops! Make that the RIGHT, rear light cluster. Duh.

Geoff.

Reply to
Geoff

If you car has a factory, port, or dealer installed tow package, then the cube may be the tail-light converter, but they are generally installed on the left side. Another possibility is the tail light failure sensor.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks for the clues, Ray. No, I have no tow package, and I just bought a Reese 5/4 wire converter for the hookup....the failure sensor is a new thought (for me), and may be supported by the (apparently) small gauge of the wires I can *just* see entering the thing. I've got wire-pull strings installed now, so I guess I'll forget about it...pity it wasn't exactly what I needed! (Of course, then I'd have to find the mating connector.....)

Geoff.

Reply to
Geoff