Re: OT: A Simple Balloon Valve To Bleed And Flush Your Brakes

Here's something that may be of use.

Is that really any different from just putting the end of the bleed tubing into an elevated jar, filled slightly with say 1 cm deep of fresh brake fluid, as a check valve?

I like the Teflon tape idea. But... how would you remove the Teflon tape from the screw when done changing fluid? That would introduce a whole lot of air into the system. Or do you mean, just leave it there forever??? Won't heat be a problem?

Cross-posted to alt.autos.toyota just for fun.

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Or just leave the tube open and pump/flush with plenty of brake fluid while reconnecting. I got most of the air out of my corolla without problems. I use my finger check valve. I would not try to save the fluid and risk sucking dirt back into the system.

All that work just to save on brake fluid?

Reply to
linnix

Or just leave the tube open and pump/flush with plenty of brake fluid while reconnecting. I got most of the air out of my corolla without problems. I use my finger check valve. I would not try to save the fluid and risk sucking dirt back into the system.

All that work just to save on brake fluid?

I use a hand vacuum pump with a bleed tank. Vacuum makes the air bubbles larger and easier to remove.

tm

tm

Teflon tape in a brake system? Not me, brother. Little hunks come off and get lodged in vital places.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yikes!

Michael

Reply to
Michael

The teflon tape is needed to seal the threads and prevent air from leaking back into the brake cylinder. This would defeat the purpose of bleeding the brakes.

Here is a picture showing the conical end of the bleed screw and the bleed hole:

"

" When you apply the teflon tape and insert the bleed screw into the brake cylinder, the action of the screw is towards the cylinder. Any possible debris from the teflon is trapped as the bleed screw moves further into the hole.

It is not necessary to tighten the bleed screw to make a good seal. Just finger-tight is good enough. This prevents damaging the teflon tape, so there is no debris created.

When you bleed the brakes, the flow of brake fluid is out of the brake cylinder, past the conical end of the bleed screw, into the bleed hole, and out into the storage jar. This will force any possible debris into the collection jar.

When you remove pressure from the brake pedal, the balloon valve closes. This prevents air and any debris from getting sucked back into the brake cylinder. It also prevents dirty fluid from the collection jar from flowing back into the cylinder.

If any debris did happen to get into the cylinder, it would merely join all the other debris from the brake lines and master cylinder that collects in the bottom of the cylinder. This is not removed when bleeding the brakes. If the other debris has not caused any harm, there is little reason to believe any teflon debris would.

The bleed screw is closed after the brakes are bled. The end of the screw is conical and seals against the outlet side of the brake cylinder. There is no chance for any debris to get back into the cylinder when the bleed screw is closed.

Since the balloon valve prevents any backflow into the brake cylinder while you are bleeding the brakes, and the bleed screw seals the brake cylinder outlet when you are finished, there is little reason for any concern of teflon debris entering the brake system.

Reply to
Mike
[snip]

Your butler doesn't bleed your brakes ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

A lot of sites recommend doing that. I tried it - it seemed to just slosh the fluid back and forth, with little actual movement of fluid from the brake system into the jar. This wastes time, and risks bringing debris from the brake lines back into the anti-skid valves. This could cause serious problems that could be expensive to repair.

Teflon is used to coat frying pans, so I think it can stand up to the heat. But it really doesn't matter. When you are done, just close the bleed screw. The tape remains on the threads, but it cannot do any harm since it is on the outlet side of the bleed screw.

Here is a picture showing the conical end of the bleed screw and the bleed hole:

"

" The conical end of the bleed screw seals against the brake cylinder when it is tightened. This prevents any air or debris from entering the cylinder after the bleed screw is closed.

Reply to
Mike

Every time I've installed brake parts the OEM said not to use any sealant.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

are better, have to get myself a set. The Motiv pressure bleeders just make a mess.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Teflon tape should not be used on bleeder screws, and you will not find any competent automotive technician using it because it can prevent a proper seal.

By the way, ABS does not stand for "anti-skid" brakes; ABS stands for anti-lock brakes.

Reply to
Ray O

In message , Ray O writes

When it first came out, Ford called it "Advanced Braking System".

Reply to
Clive

When Volvo invented it, they called it "Antilock Breaking System". :)

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

What were they breaking?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Gary L. Burnore expounded in news:ikhgn9$kq3$ snipped-for-privacy@nntpd.databasix.com:

For a long time it was an "Ain't Braking System".

Warren

Reply to
Warren