Re: Where did all the old Japs car go?

As well as many Jap cars from the eighties. ;)

mike hunt

"Tom" wrote in > news:cAaBg.2307$ snipped-for-privacy@fe10.lga: > >> most likely melted down to be put back into new jap cars. >> >> you actually saw a 240Z??? consider yourself lucky. 99.9% of the >> 240Z's made were scrapped after their frames rotted out and the cars >> split in half. > > > > You're not exaggerating about that either. I saw just that years ago on a > 240Z that was in such bad shape the owner himself took it off the road. > > One day I watched my mechanic hoist that 240 so he could pull some good > parts off. The driver door was left slightly open. As the hoist took the > load and the car left the ground, the entire body emitted a loud series of > groans, creaks and pops, and the ends of the car sagged three inches. We > knew the measurement because an attempt at closing the door failed. > > And remember those Macpherson struts that used to pop through the inner > fender and bend the hood? A walk through any wrecking yard during the '80s > showed you where all the '70s cars were... > > > > >> early jap cars were made about as good as the late 70's >> gm trucks were. within 5 years they rusted out so bad you were left >> with nothing but a pile of iron oxide dust. >> > > > They rusted very badly, no question. But then so did most '50s American > iron that is now considered classic. > > But I think the main reason you don't see Japs at shows is that there's no > demand; nobody wants them. The cars were seen at the time as cheap > subsitutes for the real thing (American cars), and were treated as > appliances. Japanese cars also were rarely made into convertibles or > hardtops, typically the most valuable of collectibles. > > What's most popular in the classic/collectible market at any given time > seems to be largely a function of what the owners' fathers had when they > were kids, or the first car they ever drove. I suppose in time there may > be > more emotional attachment to certain Japanese models as a consquence of > that. > > -- > TeGGeR® > > The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ >
Mike Hunter