Toyota sales up, GM, Ford sales down....

Toyota does not have near the cost for labor and benefits as do domestics. Toyotas vehicles should therefore cost less than the comparably equipped and sized domestic vehicles, but they cost more.

mike hunt

Just Me wrote:

Reply to
DustyRhoades

GM's market share was over 30% in the 80's. It is 25.6% today. Ford is down to 19.2%.

This means that together, American cars make up 40% of the market share. This means more Americans chose to buy imports.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

When this news played on UK tv, it was pointed out that a useful proportion of those "foreign" Japanese cars are actually made in the US. Would that matter, in such calculations?

(FWIW, a similar situation prevails within the UK.)

Exactly what a car's nationality is, these days, can be hard to nail down. Does country-of-design fix it? Or who gets the money (but keep in mind that money flows everywhere, paying for work to be done)? Or where the big assembly line is? Who makes the sub- assemblies? Where the steel came from? &c...

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Not so, they were in 2003 but since 2004 Chrysler has been back in 3rd.

mike hunt

DH wrote:

Reply to
BigJohnson

OK.

Out of 16 cars, 9 imports. This is the parking lot that the salespeople who flew in and then rented a car to visit our campus use, so American fleet vehicles should be overrepresented.

Want me to run over and look out the window overlooking the employee parking lot?

What if you looked out the window in Tokyo, Beijing, Singapor or Bangalore? Are we selling lots of Chevys around the world?

Being #1 in US auto sales counts for less and less every day.

Reply to
DH

Actually, in the world, Toyotas out do Ford, Toyota is #2!

Liberals=Minority Party

That is true, IF one uses Toyotas numbers that discount some models sold worldwide by Ford subsidiaries.

mike hunt

Liberals=M>

Reply to
MajorDomo