Toyota Sienna: start and then shut off

I have had a used 2002 Toyota Sienna ( 68k miles ) for about a year and a half. One day in the summer, I drove it to the mountains. Once I arrived, the van was shut off for about a couple of hours...then the van had trouble running. It would start, but immediately shut off. If I keep my foot on the gas pedal it would rev up, but stall out as soon as I took my foot off the gas. Of course, you can't put it in gear without your foot on the brake. Eventually, I thought to open up the gas cap, which appeared to release a large amount of pressure. Then the van started normally and drove fine.

Well, it happened again this weekend. Except, the van was at home and had only been driven around town the day before. I opened up the gas cap and a little pressure came out. But, even after that, the van would only run if I kept a foot on the gas. Again, it would rev up and immediately stop when I let off the gas.

The indicator lights seems to turn off while the engine is running.

What could cause this? Something going foul in the Electronics? I dread taking any vehicle in that has an intermittent problem.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Dig314

Reply to
dig314

Several things can cause the condition you are describing, including fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, coolant temperature sender, and idle air control valve. Replacing those components without checking them is expensive, I recommend that you take it to the dealer for diagnosis and repair.

Reply to
Ray O