2000 Camry Missing at High Speed

The Car: 2000 Camry LE Sedan 102K Miles The Engine: 5S-FE The Problem: A couple times a week I feel the engine cutting out at highway speeds (50-60 MPH) if I come to a stop at that time the engine will die, otherwise the car runs fine. Also, while coming to a stop if I feel the engine about to die I can drop it into neutral, give it a little gas and the engine will recover and keep running. I have new spark plugs for it but have not installed them yet. I think it is a bad ignition coil or a fuel injector going bad. Wanted to get some tips before I throw any significant money at the problem. Any ideas would be much welcomed.

Thanks,

-d

Reply to
blahut

Yep, the wires and plugs are original. No cap on the 2000 model just two coils with two spark plug wires each, unfortunately no way to test the coils on the 4 cyl..

Reply to
blahut

Maybe its starving for fuel, see if it get worse going faster, a bad filter or fuel pump. If it was put on a scope which cilinder was misfiring would be easily seen.

Reply to
ransley

I may have found the cause of the misfire, I pulled the number 1 spark plug wire to replace the plugs and the spark plug tube has about a teaspoon (guess) of oil in the bottom of it. This would certainly explain the problem.

-d

Reply to
blahut

Oil, could be it was never torqued correctly when they were last replaced and the oil shorted it, but I would worry about that plug wire also

Reply to
ransley

Hello, i had the same before and everything came fine back when i changed the fuel filters. try to check them both the one on the right side of car engine and the other one near by fuel tank.

Reply to
Nubian

So the problem happens when the car is stopped and not at 50-60MPH?

If so it may be the problematic idle air control valve that's dirty. Needs a cleaning. This is a common reason for stalls on the camry. So check this before going to fuel filter/pump, EGR valve, vacuum leaks, etc.

google: camry iac cleaning

Reply to
johngdole