2007 Camry MPG?

Hi folks. Excuse me if this thread has been written about before but I'm wondering what you're getting for MPG with the new model. I've got a 4 Cylinder and have gotten 30-32 on all highway driving but it appears that the local driving is well below the 24 that's been estimated. On tanks which are mainly highway driving with a small amount of local driving, I'm getting around 25 overall - seems low to me.

Thanks.

Reply to
David In NH

We bought a new 2007Camry Hybrid about 2 months ago. I'm very pleased with the MPGs, on trips the most we got was about 41MPG , from 35 to

40 MPG around town. It has to do with how short the trips are around town. The longer the trips, the better the car warms up, and the better mileage you get. I am a seasoned Hybrid driver also - having owned a Honda Insight for almost 3 years. It is a 5speed stick and I have got tankfulls of 70MPG + . I like the Insight a lot - much sporterier than the camry (two entirely different cars but the same result - to save gas, and generate almost 0 polution). I traded a 1999 Lincoln TownCar (Touring) for the INSIGHT. I am a happy man! My wife drives the CamryHybrid about 98% of the time - mostly around town. She actually cut in half the amout of gas she is using. Her previous car (2003 Nissan Murano) tipically got about 15 to 18 MPG around town, she now getting on average of 38MPH around town. Hybrids are the best you can do so far - I believe carmakers will be offering more and better choices in the future.
Reply to
neidzws

Yeah, yeah, I know. A hybrid. They weren't too available here and I needed to get a car quickly so I didn't go for one. BUT, I bet you knew I wasn't asking about them! Thanks for the information (and gloating!) anyway.

AND, good luck with the car.

Reply to
David In NH

Reply to
BigJim

I'm getting 28 city and 36/38 hiway imperial gals.

2007 with about 8500 ks on it.

rq

Reply to
qq

Driving habits affect the MPG. On the same car (4cyl 5,000+ miles) my wife and I get a different MPG just because of driving habits. You might be accelerating too fast and braking too hard. My wife didn't want to believe me at first but when we got the MPG data then she now knows its true. Try it.

We use Costco regular fuel.

Reply to
EdV

Just over 2 months in my possession, 6077 miles, 215.276 gallons purchased......28.2 mpg. Probably 90% on the highway, 73-74 mph with 70 speed limit, 65-66 mph when 60 speed limit. Just came back from a trip cross-state, (Washington) driving Interstates (70 speed limit) and about 150 miles on US highways (60 speed limit) that included crossing the Cascade Mountain range, and back......29.1 mpg heading east, 29.0 coming back.......30+ mpg, let alone 33 as the EPA says is possible, is but a dream. SE model, 4 cylinder, auto transmission, all season tires on the 17" rims. Tried to open it up the other day on a straight stretch.......I was only able to get it up to 105 mph......might have gotten a little more if I had had a longer stretch.....Gets to 90 easily, it really works to get more. For more top end you'll want the V-6; Motor Trend gave it raves in the latest issue-- 0-60 in 6.2 seconds! The four can't touch that, 110 less hp is REALLY noticeable!

Love the car,

Stan

Reply to
Stan Wright

It's certainly a dream with your driving habits, anyway. Our '95 will get in the high thirties on the highway, but that's driving at about 58-65 mph, no top speed trials, and no really hard acceleration.

(...)

Reply to
mj

Last Thankgiving holiday, drove from LA to Palm Springs and back, total of 437 miles. I zeroed the odometer after filling the tank. Filled it up again and put in 17.112 gallons. Filled it up to the brim so I can see the level. Imagine 18.5 gallons capacity on the tank.

About 75% highway and 25% city drive. During the trip I also went to Palm Spring Aerial Tramway which is 2,000 ft above sea level, so you can imagine the incline. On the freeway I would cruise on 80 mph. 3 adults and 2 kids + cargo.

Not too bad for a four cylinder. By the way, I used Premium Gasoline.

Reply to
EdV

You used PREMIUM gas in a FOUR cyl?? What a colossal waste of money.

Reply to
sharx35

Yeah, now I know, it didn't have any effect on performance for my long drive. I wouldn't use it again.

You used PREMIUM gas in a FOUR cyl?? What a colossal waste of money.

Reply to
EdV

However, the SIX cyl. is so designed that it does give more power and mileage. However, whether the extra power and mileage pay for the higher cost of premium is open to debate. Perhaps others have the figures to prove either way what is correct.

Reply to
sharx35

My 2006 Camry XLE V6 has used 530.75 gallons to go 12397 miles. Driving is about 70% freeway and 30% city.

That works out to 23.36 MPG (on regular gas)

I don't think one can get an accurate measure of gas mileage from just one or two tanks.

veeb

Reply to
Veeber

Well not exactly. You can monitor your MPG in a single full tank of gas and refil. You get your actual MPG at those driving and engine condition. You can actually monitor evry fillup if your MPG decreases as you approach maintenance schedule. But wow, you have records of the total gallons you have put in. Good job!

Reply to
EdV

"EdV" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com...

The problem with trying to monitor gas mileage on a tank by tank basis is the difficulty in filling the tank exactly the same on each tank fill up. It is very easy to make a 1 or 2 gallon difference. Say on the previous fill up, you were on a slight incline, or the nozzle was less sensitive, or you were no tin a hurry and you teased in a little extra gas - you might have been able to get an extra gallon in the tank (compared to average). At the next fill up, you are at a different angle, or the nozzle is more sensitive, or you are less patient, and you get a gallon less than average in the tank. This would make that particular tank full of gas look really good, especially if you filled up after only a half or two thirds of a tank were consumed. You can try to minimize this by going back to exactly the same pump and parking as close as possible to the same position and trying to completely fill the tank, but even this will only reduce the error, not eliminate it. I've had vehicles where, if I was patient, I could pump in several gallons after the automatic nozzle kicked off the first time. This make it very easy to accumulate large single tank fuel economy measurement errors. Averaging your economy over multiple tanks of gas is the best way to get an accurate fuel economy measurement (a 1 or 2 gallon error spread over 35 or 50 gallons is a lot less significant than a 1 or 2 gallon error spread over 10 or 15 gallons) . Unfortunately this makes it difficult to calculate fuel economy for specific conditions. I rarely take a highway trip where I buy 3 or more tank fulls of gas. I do keep gas mileage logs on all my vehicles. Therefore I have very good data on my "average" fuel economy. And since I do tend to drive the same patterns for long periods of time, I have a good handle on my "in-town" mileage. My highway mileage measurements are not as good. In my opinion, to get reasonably accurate fuel economy estimates, you need to measure the fuel economy over at least 3 tanks of gas (>40 gallons).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White