2012 Camry LE recommended Tire pressure seems too high

I often rent a 2012 Toyota Camry LE when I fly to other cities. When I pick up a Camry from the airport they always fill the tires under 3=

0psi (cold), yet the ride and handling seems ok. =20 I looked in the door jamb and noticed the recommended tire pressure is 35ps= i (cold). When I fill the tires to this pressure, the ride is always busy o= n the freeway and hard in city driving (unlike what a Camry LE should be). = I'm using a quality gauge to measure inflation. =20 Just wondering if others noticed the same issue.
Reply to
techman41973

Here is a related rule of thumb which I developed, when wondering about the effects of temperature changes between Winter and Summer.

Forgive any rounding off in the mathematics. But for moderate places in the US, I presume that the 30 psi (cold) would be meant to take place at around 50 degrees F (=283 Kelvin). Generally the worst that can happen to you is that in Summer it goes up to 100 deg F (=313 K), and in Winter it can go down to zero F (=253 K).

I cheated a little bit, but it makes it easier to remember. It boils down to my rule that

RULE going up or down 50 deg. F makes the pressure RULE go up or down by 3 psi. RULE

Or another way of wording it, using "ballpark" figures that most cars require a pressure of about 30 psi, then going up or down about 10% in temperature (on the absolute Kelvin scale) makes the pressure go up or down also by 10% of 30 psi, which = 3 psi.

I find it useful to have run through this exercise, so that I know to expect that, even if my tires do not leak, almost the worst that will happen is that the pressure will range from 27 to 33 psi over the course of the practical (almost) extremes of a year.

Reply to
brendan welch

Higher tire pressure means better average gas mileage. Thats how they boosted the number on the window sticker by a few MPGs.

Personally I set mine around 34-35 PSI as well. The lowest I'll tolerate is 32 PSI but I feel cheated at the gas pump then.

Reply to
badgolferman