$340 for Lift Supports!!!

Thanks for asking. I have a small income tax business...keeping busy, still, in semi-retirement. It has BEEN busy, Hachi. Seriously, though, there are easy work arounds to lack of lift supports or the factory hood rod support.

Reply to
sharx35

I was in trade school and doing my apprenticeship and becoming QUALIFIED to comment on such matters,and since then ,have obtained around 19 post trade quallifications.No in fact now I count its 23. A 4X2,well .... you have the average ammount of intelligence shown here ,which is why I will no longer bother. Ive had it all ,.....from parts supplements that are supposed to be workshop manuals on antenna repairs to NOW 4X2s holding up hoods. I wish you all the very best. It MAY be of interest to know that just OCCASIONALLY people who are TRAINED and QUALLIFIED , MAY JUST have more idea than you. dave

Don't be such an asshole. Sometimes COMMONSENSE solutions trump your overpaid ones.

All one needs is a SOLID long object, capable of STAYING in place while holding the hood up. Why do SOME of you so-called professionals insist on charging your customers big dollars when cheap alternatives work JUST as well? I would call people who do that CROOKS.

Reply to
sharx35

By "incredibly heavy" I'd meant that it seemed like a waste of weight; unnecessary fuel consumption to haul it, etc.

Anyone know what it would take to install a rod in my '96 camry?

Otherwise, I'll have to cut another 2x4. Mine is wearing out. (Made of pressboard.)

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Even with the horrendously high cost of lumber, guaranteed it is far cheaper to saw off another piece, as it were. Pun intended.

Reply to
sharx35

Yeah! I bet you're busy at this time of year! When's the cut-off date up there?

As for the hood lifts, I took Danny G.'s advice and got a piece of 1" ID PVC tubing, cut it to about 5-7/8", cut a slit in it and wedged it over the silver part of the strut. When I open the hood it falls in place and holds the hood up, and then you lift the hood, free it from the tube and close the hood.

Now I don't have to be embarassed when I check the oil! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Except that in this case, the guy doesn't want to spend $340 for struts for a TWENTY YEAR OLD CAR! I can think of LOTS of other parts I would rather spend $340 on.

If we were talking a '97 or newer that might not crap out two weeks from last Tuesday, it'd be a different story.

Reply to
Hachiroku

One inch ID? Nearly 6 inches long? [sounds nasty, but it isn't.]

Hmm... I have to give that a try.

What was the link to Danny G's advice?

Thanks

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

I was in trade school and doing my apprenticeship and becoming QUALIFIED to comment on such matters,and since then ,have obtained around 19 post trade quallifications.No in fact now I count its 23. A 4X2,well .... you have the average ammount of intelligence shown here ,which is why I will no longer bother. Ive had it all ,.....from parts supplements that are supposed to be workshop manuals on antenna repairs to NOW 4X2s holding up hoods. I wish you all the very best. It MAY be of interest to know that just OCCASIONALLY people who are TRAINED and QUALLIFIED , MAY JUST have more idea than you. dave

You STILL lack enough commonsense to realize that sometimes a SIMPLE remedy beats an IDEAL remedy.

Reply to
sharx35

Well, it *was* April 30, however I've been inundated with late filers.

Reply to
sharx35