'89 Camry stalling

'89 Camry 4 cyl 2 sec. hesitation & then stalls (always in traffic-where else). After a couple of tries, it starts fine. At times, it behaves for days/weeks. Wires & complete distributor replaced. Inspection great. Notice at times idle speed increases somewhat. Such as at red lights (when hot), or warming up. Any one with ideas? Frustrated

Reply to
AGO

I'd first try taking it for a good long (say 2-3 hour) run on the highway with the overdrive set off and a full tank of gas with a can of fuel injector cleaner put in it. Try decelerating then hard acceleration (provided it is safe to do so) to try to burn off any carbon in the cylinders.

Other 'things to do': Check your air filter When did you last change your fuel filter? Do you keep your gas tank at least 1/2 full (to prevent condensation in colder climes) Try a few tanks of Ethanol (alcohol) blended gas. I burn that all the time during winter as it picks up any water in my fuel system - see the note above about changing your fuel filter as if you have never used Ethanol - it will clean out your tank and fuel lines of accumulated gunk - thus requiring a fuel filter change after the frst couple of tankfulls.

Failling the above - try: new spark plugs having the ignition wiring checked for resistance (you already did this so skip this step) having a professional injector cleaning ($80 or so)

Hope this helps (and that I don't get flamed).