90 Camry starter clicks once

I have a 1990 camry V6 LE. I've replaced the starter 4 times now in the past 2 months. Sometimes it starts fine, other times it clicks once and won't start. I really doubt it's the starter because I replaced it...alot. The car has 210k miles on it and had the tranny rebuilt at

206k. The starter did this before getting the tranny rebuilt so I don't think that has anything to do with it. I've ended up buying my wife a new car over this and now want to get this one fixed so I can sell it and buy me a motorcycle. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply to
Jason

Also the 30amp fusible link under the hood labeled CDS keeps blowing. Does anyone know what CDS stands for? I don't think it has anything to do with the starter problem because the car will start with or without the fuse being blown.

Reply to
Jason

Condensor fan? (A/C related)

Luc K

Reply to
Luc Kumps

Reply to
Tercel GTS

The condenser fan works with or without the fuse.

I've been getting the starters from O'Reilly (formerly Hi-Lo). They are rebuilt starters but I couldn't imagine all of them being bad.

Reply to
Jason

When you replaced the starter did you also replace the solenoid? If not you might want to check these out for possibilities...

FWIW YMMV DFB

Reply to
NickySantoro

try getting one from Toyota

once went through something like fifteen rebuilt generators for an air cooled VW (lifetime replacement warranty) before getting the genuine Bosch replacement - no more problems. tried a Pep Boys starter once, after replacing (under warranty, but my time and labor) twice, I returned it and installed the Toyota rebuilt - no more problems - has been many years now, and I still have that truck

- driven infrequently, the starter really gets a work out after sitting for weeks, it cranks a lot before starting, but still works just fine. Try the Toyota part.

Reply to
Daniel

I think there's a known problem with that year (actually all "Gen 2") where the pinion gear on the starter that engages the flywheel is not beveled like the later years, and over time, the teeth in the flywheel can be affected, causing the problem getting the starter to engage. If the teeth don't mesh, there will be no electrical contact in the solenoid and the starter motor won't turn.

flywheel (expensive), but I'd try the Toyota brand (remanufactured) starter first.

Reply to
Daniel