Remote Keyless Key fob

OK I'm very confused about finding the correct remote for my 94 Camry XLE.

It has factory alarm and locks just missing the remote. None came with car. Body man here - bought it wrecked and fixed it.

I've read all you need is the FCC # on the back of the remote. Then I read you must be sure to get the correct color ( Black or grey). The remotes I see on E-bay all have the same FCC # BAB237131-022 wether they are black or grey! what gives? Is color important?

Thanks!

Reply to
wingsnaprop

I just went through this with my 1999 Camry LE. I have one remote but needed another. For my car there was a factory installation and a dealer installation security system. Mine was a dealer install RS3000 VIP (Vehicle Intrusion Protection) that uses the remote that I have with FCC #BAB237131-022 it is grey. The black one is different even with the same ID. The factory installation uses a remote that is different. For 1999 the factory remote had an ID of GQ43VT7T, according to my manual.

This has been gleaned through my manual and research in the newsgroups and ToyotaNation on the web. I hope someone will correct me if any of this is incorrect. I just bought a remote on ebay and I hope I bought the correct one.

As you can see it can be confusing. I would make sure it is a factory installation before doing anything. The dealer should be able to tell you if it is using the VIN number. I don't know how you can tell whether you need grey or black if it is the other system. Research, research, research.

I hope this has helped. I at least had a working remote with which to start.

Good luck, Ron

Reply to
Ron Lee

I should have told you that my system has a rectangular plate mounted near the instrument panel dimmer knob. This has "TOYOTA SECURITY" printed on it and a red LED that flashes when system is set. I think the factory system has a SECURITY light in the tachometer. This seems to be the case with my 1999 Camry. Please don't take this as any more than my unprofessional assessment.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Lee

Thanks Looks like mine is dealer installed also, as it is just as you describe, only on the front of the center console, behind shifter. This is driving me crazy. I have a 'buddie' at the local Toyota Dealership. I try not to bug him when I'm not spending $ there, but I think I'm gonna have to. Heres the car :

wingsnaprop