92 Camry leaky power steering

I've got a 92 Camry wagon, about 130,000 miles, with no real mechanical problem other than this: The power steering leaks, in the general area near the power-steering-fluid reservoir.

I've taken the car to my mechanic, and he's been able to slow -- but not stop -- the leak. I can keep topping off the fluid, but I'm tired of the mess, and the smell of the burning fluid when it drips on the hot parts nearby.

My question: Assuming the worst-case scenario, how much would it cost me to get the leak fixed once and for all?

Assume I take it to the dealership.

Thanks much, WJ

Reply to
Walter Jowers

The power steering system is presurized. How did the mechanic slow down the leak? is it a hole in the reservoir? or damaged hose? It is recommended that you flush the system and replace with new fluid. This will include a new filter too. I'm guessing $500 minimum.

Reply to
EdV

I didn't get up under the car and look. I don't think there's a hole in the reservoir, because I can see the reservoir. From the mechanic's description, I think there's a leak in a hose, or at a junction where a hose meets metal tubing. Apparently, access to this area is difficult. Mechanic tells me if I'm still bothered by the leak, I might need to replace the rack.

If I could clean up the mess for $500, I'd do it tomorrow. But I'd be hesitant to put $1K or more into a 15-year-old car with 130K miles on it. (Still runs fine, though.)

All suggestions/guidance welcome.

Thanks, WJ

Reply to
Walter Jowers

John

Reply to
John M. Darnielle

The leak in my '92 was fixed with some leak-sealer type power steering fluid. The car had not been driven much for a couple of years beforehand so the seals had dried. It's worth a try.

Reply to
Butzmark