re: leaking power steering fluid 92 Honda Civic

i am tired of filling up my power steering reservoir because it is costing me too much and i do it because i dont not want the power steering pump to go bad. i have checked a "mechanic" over and over and he cannot diagnose the source of leaking. Prior to this "now dripping leak" on the drivers side, the steering rack boots were bad and i bought new ones from the dealer and replaced them, bcuz the "mech" says that was the problem. Now that, the boots are in place, more fluid leaks out, particlarly on the driver side, and also on the passenger side. i also checked under the reservoir bottle for any seepage,and i found power steering fluid was seeping on my hand. I REALLY NEED HELP once and for all to fix this problem. THANKS,Camzie

Reply to
camzie

"camzie" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

You need a better mechanic.

I suspect your tie rods got rusted because you allowed the boots to split, thus admitting water into them.

Rust and dirt will grind away the hydraulic seals as the shafts work in and out as you drive. If fluid is leaking near the pump, there are other problems afoot as well.

Repeat: You need a better mechanic.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

There's a simple two step process to fix your problem

  1. Get a better mechanic
Reply to
Howard

the boots don't seal, only the rack's internal hydraulic seals seal. boots just keep crud out & wear rate down.

as mentioned by others, find yourself a competent mechanic and have them replace the rack. it's not cheap, but it's all you can do at this point. if you have oil running out of the boots, the rack seals have gone.

also, and this may again be a function of a bad mechanic, honda power steering requires honda's unique power steering fluid. if your "mechanic" topped up the reservoir with non-honda fluid, that would have ruined the seals. honda systems are very reliable and last hundreds of thousands of miles if not abused.

Reply to
jim beam

thanks guys for assisting me. i really appreciate your comments. iwent to the dealer to check it out and IT WAS THE SEALS and will let the dealer fix my car. thanks again for your advice.

Reply to
camzie

Glad to see you're on track. (Boots keep the dirt out; seals keep the fluid in.)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

As others have pointed out, you probably need a new power steering rack. However, you also need to only use genuine Honda power steering fluid. Other fluids, such as ATF, will degrade the seals and cause the rack to leak. If you have non-Honda fluid in your unit, then it's fairly straight forward to flush it out and put the correct fluid in the system. If a mechanic put the wrong fluid in it, then bring him four or so bottles of Honda PSF and have them redo it for you. As far as the leak under the reservoir is concerned, it may be do to spillage from your putting so much fluid into it. Alternatively, there could be a leak so carefully check the condition of all of the hoses.

Eric

Reply to
Eric