92 camry stall at stop

Have a 92 Camry wagon with V6 -has run well but recently after a highway run it stalled - easy to restart but hard to keep running when slowing at a light - its an auto trans. Has trouble maintaining consistent idle speed

-even in park - any ideas are appreciated. Its a pre-OBDII car so glad to hear any tips. I thought possibly the catalytic was clogging, but not sure. Exhaust smells a bit different as well. thanx, ignatz

-- Message posted using

information at

ignatz

Ignatz I posted a reply to another poster with a 2001 that would not idle, maybe your problem is the same? worth a try? HTH JerryR

Reply to
yjrybano2spam

using

> More information at

This

It' in this forum, and It's titled "2001 Toyota Camry stalling" Posted> by Doanh.

Did you ever think about a pro tuning it up , well its most logical ....

Reply to
ransley

Hi! Had never thought of a pro tuning it because it doesnt miss,and this problem occurred all at once- along with a light leak developing somewhere in the exh. pipes. I try do do work myself since I am very short of funds. Isnt this what the forum is for? thanx, ignatz

-- Message posted using

information at

ignatz

In later models we'd check IAC if the engine likes to stall at low speeds but runs well with throttle input. Toyota IACs aren't the best around. See the Autozone guide below on IAC, and google on IAC cleaning:

Also check your exhaust gas recirculation system. Too much exhaust gas at idle can stall the engine, too:

Look under the distributor cap and make sure it's clean and dry. Some (L4) have oil leaks that foul things up.

You should also try to pull any engine codes from the computer. Haynes manual at your local parts store should be able to tell you how. Just in case you have stored trouble codes.

The exhaust leak should be isolated. Where is it leaking? Or is it a busted vacuum hose? The exhaust smells different now you said. Is it using coolant now? I wonder if you have a busted head gasket. Earlier Toyota V6s are famous for that.

Reply to
johngdole

Great info! Will check all of those- doesnt use coolant or smell like its leaking coolant. It smooths out when up to speed but still much less peppier than it was. The only time you dont notice the difference in performance is once you are up to about 60 MPH. Thanx much for all the tips. ignatz (bob)

-- Message posted using

information at

ignatz

If you notice that kind of performance degradation, might want to check timing belt too. The belts starts to stretch around 50K miles, and some 5SFE belts are know to be so loose as to slap the timing cover.

Also add the thermostatic valve that helps the engine warm up. You know, the usual suspects. The valve is operated by the temperature of the coolant. Autozone's guide will take you through the steps.

Reply to
johngdole