93 camry front struts, no bearing or upper spring seat?

I'm just wondering how the older strut design on the camrys are suppose to pivot with the steering knuckle without the strut bearing and upper spring seat. As far as I understand it, the strut design was changed in '94or '95. I think my wife's 93 V6 XLE has the older design. The old design does not have the upper spring seat (plate) and a strut bearing as far as I understand. The upper spring isolator on this design is sort of an integrated strut bellows with a rubber pad that separates the upper part of the spring from the strut stationary mount. Does this rubber isolator move against the upper mount as the strut and spring rotate with the sterring knuckle while turning? Or does the spring rotate underneath this pad? And does this mean that this design causes a lot of wear on this isolator and needs to be changed when changing the strut mount as well?

dave mc

Reply to
davemac

Inside the rubber doughnut is a ball-race.After long service, what typically happens, is the race starts to move inside that rubber thingo you are looking at,..which causes the strut to lean slightly when subjected to side-load on cornering.

The race allows radial movement of the strut and the rubber doughnut around it allows anguler movement of the strut when the spring loads up and down over bumps. On some cars the race and rubber housing are at the very top of the tower and the race is visible under a plastic grease-cup,..but this is only on cars which allowed some caster adjustment with the retaining bolts of the whole thing in elongated slots,. which Camrys dont have.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James