Re: Toyota Tercel Front Struts!

> > Wow, a toyota question........;0) > > Just curious guys if this is an undertaking I may be able to do myself. > Or maybe offer some suggestions on what to look out for when the > *mechanic* does the work to make sure he does what he's supposed to. > > I need to replace the 2 front struts on my 1996 Toyota Tercel, 2DR. Upon > inspection of my vehicle my mechanic stated that one is *blown* out & > the other looks shabby as well. He did mention the bearings may have to > be replaced but he can't tell until they pull out (I don't like > suprises) the struts? He was *spot* on with the pricing so that's really > not an issue, the bearing *plate* I assume is what's replaced & not just > bearings. > > He also mentioned my right rear bearings need to be replaced. They are > drum brakes & he estimated about $100.00. Upon checking the part prices > there were 2, outer bearings & inner. I assume both logically should be > replaced, and the price I got was like $7.00 for the outer & $24.00 for > the inners. I guess the $100.00 ia about right. > > I'm really not much of a mechanic but if the struts are simple than I > might consider doing myself. I mean I was a big machinery hydraulic > mechanic (sort of) when I was in the Navy.....(LMAO)....Anyway, the > strut pricing is about $65.00 each, and the bearing plate around > $50.00......If I can save myself about $120.00 in labor maybe it will be > worth it????? > > Thanks guys

I can't think of any reason why you cannot replace the struts in your driveway. It's a pretty straight forward job on most cars and trucks. I have no specific experience with the Tercel, but the Tercel is pretty much at the bottom of the food chain for technological advancement that would throw a wrench into the project. Usually, struts can be replaced and not affect the alignment. You will need to use the Loaner Tool desk of your local parts store to get a spring compressor. Typically, the entire strut with spring comes off, then you take the spring off of the strut and move it to the new strut, then put the whole thing back into the car. The spring will have rubber seats that fit into cups on the struts that the springs seat into. The rubber you have may be rotted, and should be replaced. The rubber seats don't cost much, if your car uses them, and you may as well get them, an upper and lower for each side, and put them in. If you do not use the seats, then you might end up with metal on metal contact that will become noisey, and could be problematic for the long life of the parts.

The bearing plate referred to when talking about the struts is at the top of the strut, where it seats inside the shock tower. As the front tires turn, the struts have to rotate, they do so on the bearing plate.

What you need to do is look for a parts diagram for your car. I use penskeparts.com to find parts for my BMW, but it does not list any Toyuota models. I assume there is a Website that lists Toyota parts and shows the relative locations. You can shop

for a start, to see what you might expect to pay for the parts you need.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You should not be concerned thqt you are working against Obama's effort to preserve a job that he has no idea even exists, or not. Buy yourself a shopping car full of parts and start wrenching...

Buy a Rib Eye to congratulate yourself on a job well done.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I think you also need new axle nuts when replacing bearings.

I found that the bearing/bushing for my 1986 Corolla varied a lot in price, 2:1, and I ended up getting each for $27 each from BAP, a parts chain that specializes in foreign brand cars. But another time, the cheapest source for the fuel pump was Checker/Kragen (now O'Reilly's). OTOH if the struts have to be replaced as well, maybe buying the whole assembly will be cheaper because it includes the bearing/bushing. I marked the cam bolts underneath with punch marks and sprayed paint over the strut studs on top so I could retain the alignment, and $74 later the garage confirmed that the alignment was OK.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

If it was the warnings that Hachi and Gary gave about the dangers of spring compressors, I don't blame you. The cheap ones that consist of a pair of threaded rods with jaws on them can slowly slide sideways along the spring, sometimes enough to make a jaw suddenly slip off and send the assembly shooting out. I use 4 of the rods at once. And while many of those compressors include safety hooks that are supposed to keep the jaws in place, those hooks are usually just eye bolts that seem like they can slip off or even bend. So I substitute U-bolts, which really can't fly off.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly