93 Camry LE V6 - Timing Belt Interference?

Is the 93 Camry LE V6 engine and interference engine? ie. If the timing belt lets go, is there severe engine damage?

JM Toronto

Reply to
SpeedFreak

Hello JM (Fellow Torontonian),

I believe the 93 Camry LE V6 has the 3VZ-FE engine model and as far as I know, this is a free running (non interference) engine design. If the belt breaks, then the car will stall and you replace the belt. This is the worse case scenerio.

Personally I would follow Toyota recommendations for service and I think for that engine, it is to replace the timing belt and the water pump at 100,000 KM (60,000 miles). The reason to replace the water pump is that if the coolant leaks, the gycol will ruin the timing belt and require it to be changed again.

Where do you take your vehicle in for service?

Reply to
Car Guy

Actually, the worst case scenario is that the engine will stop, you'll lose power steering and braking, you'll end up stopped in the middle of an intersection and get broad-sided by an 18-wheeler. Definitely, change the belt when recommended.

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

You do not lose braking immediately. There is sufficient vacuum stored in the brake booster for about 5 apply-release-apply of the service brake with no engine. Steering goes away with the engine not turning.

Reply to
Philip®

The engine will be DRT...dead right there, period.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I thought the 93 Camry V6 was a 4VZ-FE non interference engine design?

Reply to
Car Guy

Reply to
Car Guy

In ANY four cycle engine.... when the camshaft stops turning, so will the crankshaft will stop shortly thereafter. Any damage incured depends on the "interference" or "non-interference" design. You be walkin'.

Reply to
Philip ®