Camry is the car most frequently traded in for Malibu

And people pay $200 more on average for a Malibu than Camry?

The price customers are paying for the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu has soared and actually exceeds what people are paying for the average Toyota Camry, General Motors Corp. said Tuesday. Advertisement

The average transaction price for 2008 Malibus is $20,954, $4,000 more than the 2007 Malibu and $200 higher than the 2008 Camry, said Chevrolet chief Ed Peper. The transaction price reflects deals automakers offer, so it's a better measure of success than sticker price.

"We're selling more Malibus with higher trim levels and attracting younger and better-educated customers than we did with the old model," Peper said.

He added that 38% of Malibu buyers are trading in a non-GM vehicle, another key goal, and that the Camry is the car most frequently traded in.

Reply to
johngdole

Isn't the Camry the best selling car? Wouldn't that itself make it the car most likely traded in?

Reply to
Jeff

And the great thing is that after four years the Malibu buyer will be ready for a new Malibu, whereas the Camry owner will be driving his or her vehicle for twelve to fifteen years.

Reply to
SMS

Well, I wouldn't be so sure. GM, Ford and even Chrysler make some good cars. My Ford Contour is 11 years old and still going strong.

The Malibu might or might not be one of those.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

We'll see if that holds up in 3-4 years when durability and out of warranty costs are measurable. A reputation for bad quality could emerge earlier if problems pile up even under warranty. Good Wrench service is not what I would want to be dealing with if problems arise. Remember, Renault Alliance was the "car of the year" when it first came out. Real quality and satisfaction is realized after the shine wears off, the warranty ends, and you pay for the design flaws and corner cutting out of your own pocket. Resale value is the measure of value. Is the new Malibu a Fad? We'll see.

If Malibus can go 100-200k without major issues, and minor repairs nickel & diming you to death, then they may capture some of the Camry/Accord/ Altima market. for the long haul. Camry didn't build it's reputation overnight. Malibu has built a reputation over several years.

Roadrunner NG

Interesting that GM would say that right after news of them losing the number one spot in sales to Toyota... despite Toyota not having an edge on the Truck Market.

Reply to
Don't Taze Me, Bro!

Yes Sir!

Reply to
Don't Taze Me, Bro!

That's the great thing about getting stuck into a trade in mixer with Chevy and Ford. You can never get out until you file bankruptcy.

Reply to
Don't Taze Me, Bro!

Yeah, but people actually pay $200 more on average?

Reply to
johngdole

Detroit paid $65/hour for employees to mow grass (GM's former Delphi subsidiary) while Toyota built more compact/fuel sipper cars that people want.. No surprise there.

Reply to
johngdole

GM can build cars as reliable as the Lexus, sure if Malibu is one remains to be seen. So anybody want a Buick or Lexus? Not me.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- For the first time in 12 years, Toyota's Lexus luxury brand has to share its top rank in J.D. Power and Associates' annual Vehicle Dependability Study. And it has to share it with an American car.

General Motors' Buick brand tied Lexus in the study, which measures the number of problems owners experience with their cars after three years of ownership.

Reply to
johngdole

$200 is pocket change when buying a car.

Cup holders in the right place are worth $200. Features like OnStar, especially with the first year is paid by GM is worth $200. There is lots of perceived value in the $200. Is the value really there? Good question. People that are shopping for cars apparently think so.

Ford is selling the Edge by saying, "we are as good as the Camry." It remains to be seen if Ford really is as good, but they are marketing themselves to Camry owners. GM is apparently looking for Camry owners too. Camry has been the flagship in Consumer Reports for a very long time -- they compare everything to Camry. A Jeep Wrangler is too stiff when compared to the Camry and the truck space sucks, therefore the Wrangler rates very low. If they compared the Camry to the Wrangler, I'm pretty sure it would suck too -- the Camry has no ground clearance and can't climb a hill to save it's sorry ass. Camry and Wrangler are completely different animals, but I understand how the Camry and the Malibu would be stacked against each other.

Camry is the flagship car to drive, and everybody wants to make one. Do they pull it off? I'm not prepared to say.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Apparently, they think it is worth more. In addition, that might be the cost before rebates and other incentives.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

To hell with Malibu, GM and every other piece of crap they build. They will build good cars when Toyco takes them over. Scott

-- Message posted using

information at

zonie

But the Camry with 150,000 miles on it will still be worth quite a bit more then the Malibu.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I gotta admit, my LHS was 11 years old when I got it, and went 2 years and

20,000 miles with no problems.

But repairing the AC was going to cost ~$2500...

Reply to
Hachiroku

According to the article, the price reflects rebates and incentives.

Reply to
Ray O

BigJim

Buying a new model redesign is never a good idea, it takes years to get out the bugs

Reply to
ransley

Don't worry, even if this car is a hit, the extortioning UAW will put a halt to that. Great time to take the company down.

Roadrunner NG