Coolant residue on top of resovoir

97 Camry V6 91k

Can someone tell me why coolant residue keeps reappearing near the cap of the overflow tank? I had the coolant changed 20k ago, same issue then and now. I have the Toyota red coolant in it, always did. It looks like it's boiling over the top of the tank but there never appears to be any missing and the line is on the HOT when hot. It doesn't overheat. I've been thinking about the radiator cap being bad, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
AV

My 2001 solara does that too. after enough coolant came out, it stopped. It is just below the full line in the reservoir. I too wonder whether the coolant is foaming or boiling.

Scot

Reply to
Scot
99 Camry V6 60K

My 99 Camry has done that exact thing since new. I agree the residue on the top of the overflow tank looks like boiling, but I suspect it is "frothing" somehow. I just wipe it off every few months and keep on wondering.

Reply to
Orv

Its normal dont worry about it

Reply to
mark Ransley

Overflow coolant is usually hot and with the sloshing around as the vehicle moves, evaporated residue will collect on upper surfaces.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Mine was doing that, residue at the filler. I put a gasket in the filler and it is much better. It still has the overflow free to the air. Even when it was leaking the level never changed so it was not losing much coolant. If the radiator cap was faulty you would lose a lot of coolant. To be sure, squeeze the radiator hose when it is hot. It should be very tight and stay that way for a while if the cap is OK.

Reply to
John