Driver's Seat and Gear Shift illumination 94 Camry 6 cyl xle

Hi,

Two questions: Driver's seat(leather) is cracking and sagging.What are my options and ballpark costs for getting it fixed or replaced. Also, the gear shift markings P,R, N, D, etc. are no longer illuminating. Where is the bulb or fuse that should be replaced.Thanks for any help.

Reply to
DCurran

Leatherique (leatherique.com) is helpful for rejuvenating the resiliency of the leather to prevent further deterioration (not inexpensive though - but less than replacement cost.) Toyota does sell replacement seat cover - leather original, and foam padding, if damaged. I'd try the leatherique first. Had a similar problem and it seems to have helped a lot. Their slogan "simply the best" is probably true. Didn't have any sagging though, just drying and hardening from the sun. Their crack filler is inexpensive enough to try, but then you need to add dye. I took the headrest out and matched it to Rustoleum "Nutmeg Satin" for $3, mixed the crack filler and paint, then applied with a Q-tip. It helped somewhat. I think the crack filler is designed to be applied over the entire area and then re dyed. I just had one bad spot on an upper corner. The leatherique did soften the leather as promised. Now the side bolsters on the seat actually work again, because you can sink in, rather than being suspended on the hardened surface only. There are aftermarket leather kits, but you need to weigh the cost of installation - that money will never be returned on resale. The local upholstery shop suggested installing fabric seat covers to reduce the cost, but I opted for the leatherique instead. For me, I'd forget about those silly gear position markings on the dash. If you really want to change the bulb you need to remove the screws above the speedometer, and pop off the radio surround to get to the other screws holding in the dash cover. The only possible utility I could see, would be if the indicators showed the actual forward drive gear you're in, like first, or second, with a light for lockup torque converter engagement, but even then, one can fairly easily detect without an indicator light. As for lights telling me I'm in Drive or Neutral or Reverse or Park , you can just look down and see the orange indicator as on any other car. I'm actually glad the "D" light burned out, and find it a minor annoyance every time the red "R" light comes on, trying to trick me into believing there's an engine warning. When shifting into "N" at a long traffic signal, I never even notice the green "N" on the dash, and certainly don't need a light on the dash to remind me I shifted into Park. These must be the quintessential "idiot lights." I like almost everything about the Camry, but those gear position indicators on the dash must have been designed for a completely different mind set than someone who understands the car and does all their own mechanical servicing and repair.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus