EVAP codes, 2001 Camry CE

My wife's second-hand Camry w/ 40,000 mi. has had a constant string of check engine warnings since purchase at 30k. The dealer replaced a cat converter and the light stayed out for a month and then returned. Took it in, they said they pulled three codes and (this is sweet) had to replace the charcoal cannister for the evap system--it could be cracked. Said it would run $650 because an "induction purge" was also needed ($250 for cannister, and $400 for labor and a can of juice in the gas tank). I laughed and told them I'd be up to get the car. Bought a code scanner and pulled 3 codes: 440, 441, and 446. Reset, and the light has not been back on yet. Maybe it was just a hiccup with a vacuum switch. I've got the Haynes w/diagnostic tests for components.

I think the pressure sensor is common to all of the codes, so I'll run a check on that. I thought I'd ask the group if there are any other places where I should concentrate my diagnostic efforts? Thanks much, Mike Davis

Reply to
ycleptor2

Glad you got out of the dealer before they emptied your wallet! With those codes install a new o ring on the gas cap or a new cap. Make sure it clicks several times after filling it up. Dont overfill the tank. Check the rubber hoses under the car at the fuel filler to the tank. The hose clamps may have gotten loose. Also check the hose from the top of the fuel injection to the VSV switch on top of the Evap cannister. Mine was cracked so it leaked air. I assume yours is similar, mine is a

97 Camry.
Reply to
ROBMURR

Got it, and thanks for the reply.

Cheers, Mike Davis

Reply to
ycleptor2

hello, first of all these codes are very common on that car. it could be because of a loose gas cap. the most common problem is a loose gas cap or an inop. vsv on the charcoal canister. it comes on the canister or can be bought seperately.but honostly that dealer is charging way too much. go to a different dealer and have it diagnosed. but first, make sure its not just a loose gas cap. good luck

Reply to
toyotawiz

Thanks sir. That was my suspicion too. I'm also going to ascertain whether my wife is overfilling. I reset the light on Sunday and it's not back on yet. We'll see by the weekend. Cheers, Mike Davis

toyotawiz wrote:

could be

cap or

can be