Flat rate book?

Do all Toyota (Camry) repair places charge by the flat rate book? Recently a dealership discovered a burned out parking light and wanted $16.40 to replace it. 0.2 Hr. I just did both front parking lights in 3 minutes flat, including testing. The bulbs at full retail were $3.54.

There was a time in days of yore when service stations would replace bulbs as a courtesy in order to gain repeat business. In fact that works with me. I tend to patronize gas stations that feature free tire air, if their gas price is competitive.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

Dealerships have notoriously high overheads. Fancy showrooms,shuttle services, highly skilled and highly paid technicians.

Believe it or not they make little profit from the sale of a new auto. Their profit centers therefore lie in the service department and used car sales.

I do my best to steer clear of the service department unless I am procuring a competively priced product.

Specialty shops usually are far more competive, but for a minor fix like a tail light replacement which is a no brainer, I would never let the dealership get their mittens on it.

I figure you got off cheap at $16 bucks.

In my mind dealerships are for warranty work only unless you have money to burn.

The Artful Codger

Reply to
Artfulcodger

In news:onsBb.488115$Tr4.1331892@attbi_s03, William W. Plummer being of bellicose mind posted:

A garage or ... any repair facility has by definition "OVERHEAD" costs. But you want freebies. Do it yourself and pay yourself accordingly!

Reply to
Philip®

Any idea how to remove a burnt out rear side marker light on a '99 Camry XLE? I've removed the plastic cover inside the trunk, and I can see the side marker lamp housing, but there's virtually no room to do anything. Does it pull out, turn left, or right? Any/all help appreciated.

Thanks

Norm

Father Guido ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ I plan on living forever... so far, so good

Reply to
Father Guido

Go to your local library and look through the repair books. That's how I figured out how to replace the front parking light.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

Thanks, at least the price is right. *L*