Fram Air Hog Air filters almost free

Fram is running a $20 rebate on their premium Air Hog air filters that compete with K&N filters. For some Camrys, $20 off means these reuseable filters are nearly free. For example the Air Hog air filter for the 1991 Camry 2.0L costs $22.79 (at

under Fuel/Air). So after the Fram rebate the filter costs $2.79. A super reuseable air filter for much less than the cheapest disposable. They are even orange!

I have never seen a $20 air filter rebate before and thought I would pass it on because the rebate ends on 12/31. Here is a link to the Fram rebate form:

tom

========================= Remember air filters need to flow air and also filter the air. Two contradictory functions, not complementary. More air flow, less filtering. Silica content (dirt) in oil analyses from oil soaked air filters is consistently high. See below:

-------- From: Matthew E. O'Toole ( snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com) Subject: Re: K&N air filter? View this article >

I've used K&N filters over the years too, and while the results you cite are not contrary to my experience, I am concerned about recommending these for everyday use in a passenger vehicle. I have done oil analysis on every car on which I've used a K&N. On all 6 cars, this showed many times the amount of silica particles (airborne dust) in the oil than when a paper filter was used. This means that the K&N does not do as good of a job filtering the air, allowing more dirt into your engine. You may very well experience increased engine wear due to this, as your oil filter will not catch it all.

Notice that K&N does not advertise their product as offering "better filtration", only as offfering "better flow". The K&N is a good product for it's intended use, which was not originally long term use in a passenger vehicle.

Matt O.

Reply to
Daniel

I think it was snipped-for-privacy@rockauto.com who stated:

Yeah, but they're still FRAM filters!

Based on Fram's reputation, I think I'll pass . . . .

-D

Reply to
Don Fearn