Hoy to test oxygen sensor???

Hi. I own Toyota Echo 2000 (100k) Recently it started to vibrate more then usualy. I replacet all spark plugs, tested all sensors. Everything seems to be ok. I suspect oxygen sensor. I think mix is too lean and sensor can't sense it. I was trying to test it. I disconected it from the plug and was waiting for check engin light to come on. Was waiting 10 min. idling and then ran for 10 min.... Never did. What does it mean? It means that computer does not react on sensor. What should I do. To replase sensor means I need to bye one for 150 dollars and if it does not help I can't return it back. Does anyone know where to bye cheep oxy. sensor in Canada? Please advise Thanks Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Here is an excellent page on how to test O2 sensors. You can leave yours in the exhaust and simply connect a cheap digital voltmeter (multimeter on low volts range eg 2v).Then once you have the engine warmed up,..try partially blocking the air-intake with a rag. Check to see if the O2 millivolts increase......

Read the whole article.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Jason I think you forgot to give us the website for the article. Alex

Reply to
Alex Marcuzzi

in

low

Oooops! I'd better leave the URL addy here ......

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Thanks Jason. I'v done all this. When engine was worming up I was getting readings 0.5v. Then it slow moved to 0.12v and was like this all time. When I plyged intake with rug it didn't change (0.12v). When I was pressing axelerator readings ware moving to 0.09v. Then it returned to 0.12v. I think mix was ok when sensor was reading 0.5v and was lean for

0.12v. So sensor is sensing this. My question now is why computer didn't give me "check engine" light, when I disconected sensor. I think there is something missing between oxy. sensor and computer. Just to check my "check engine" light I diskonected MAF sensor and got "check engine" rightaway. Please any advise. Thanks.
Reply to
Andrew

Interesting. It seems to say an O2 sensor is a thermocouple that generates a voltage in response to heat. I thought it would have been a resistor of some sort that changes in response to the O2 level.

Reply to
William W. Plummer