91 Camry driveshaft removal

I'm replacing a torn cv boot on the left side and the driveshaft isn't disengaging from the transmission. It isn't the bolt on type; that I'm sure of. When I've done this with a Dodge Colt, I inserted a pry between the end of the cv joint and the transmission. With a slight tap on the pry, the shaft slid out easily. On the Camry, I've been trying to pry by placing the pry in ridges on the cv housing, but the shaft isn't moving. Is this the correct procedure, or is there a 'trick' involved?

Reply to
splat

Alex Marcuzzi

If you are trying to remove the (LHside) driveshaft which does not have the outboard support bearing, then you need to position two hefty screwdrivers of similar size, on both sides of the gap between the transaxle housing and the inner joint. Then apply even levering force to extract the shaft from the diff. The reason this is difficult is that a snap ring has to be compressed. This snap ring on the end of the shaft needs to be replaced before re- assembley.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James