Losing Electrical Current

Hello.

My car loses its current and dies if I switch to high-beam. It then goes completely dead. This can occur while I am driving on the highway, as well as the street. It may turn back on seconds later. Tonight after I parked it, I tried to turn it back on. It went completely dead again. Playing with the positive terminal on the battery eventually brings it back. What can this possibly be?

Reply to
ThePhoenix

Corosion on the post or cable, a bad cable, a loose cable, a bad battery- loose post.

Reply to
ransley

Are the battery cables/terminals corroded? Do you see white/green scales on the metals? Clean them with a battery post cleaner like the $2.99 deal from your local Harbor Freight:

Autozone can test your battery, especially if over 5 years old you might want to consider a replacement. Walmart Group 24F $45 Johnson Controls are good. AC Delco's $80 maintenance free is even better.

I hope your alternator is in good shape, it may not be if the car quits after starting up. Autozone (or your local NAPA) may be able to test the alternator as well.

Reply to
johngdole