milky coolant

When checking my 96 Camry, my mechanic found the coolant to be very milky like, and much thicker than ordinary coolant should be. The coolant was reddish in color. He thinks someone accidentally added power steering fluid to coolant reservoir since the two plastic fill containers are side by side under the hood. Of course, the radiator was flushed and refilled. After a couple of days driving the coolant seems OK.

It has been refilled with Toyota coolant, red in color.

Anyone have ideas as to what could cause coolant to become thick and milky like?

96 Camry 4 cyl 115000 miles
--
stevef

Maybe someone confused the overflow reservoir with an apple pie?

Reply to
SHARX.

fluid

side

The milky appearance is common when oil is mixed with water and is vigorously mixed. I agree with your mechy's theory about the accidental resevoir mix-up. Your cooling system shouldn't incurr any lasting damage, as long as the sludge resulting from the mix has been flushed out with a hose etc.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James