1996 Camry Coolant

My 1996 Toyota Camry currently has reddish brown coolant that is running little low. During my oil change, they recommended to drain and flush the radiator.

When I asked what type of coolant they use, they said they were going to put either Prestone brand, I think AF50, which is already prediluted or some other brand. When I asked about the color, they said it was greenish. Since I had my doubts on the color not matching, I did not get it flushed and said I will get it done next time.

I looked up on the web on that coolant brand and also went to auto parts store and found that it was greenish/yellow in color, which does not match the one that I have. Would it make any difference or cause any damage to the engine if I were go get it the radiator flushed and replace with the coolant that does not match the one that is currently in the radiator reservoir?

Thanks.

Reply to
Sanjay

Good question on your part. Yes. You should stay with the red color Toyota coolant available only from the dealer. Also insist on distilled water to minimize accumulation of mineral deposits in your radiator over time, which will reduce cooling efficiency and shorten its life. Others will say it doesn't matter, but the Toyota brand is specifically designed to minimize corrosion and/ or wear or damage to the aluminum radiator, aluminum head (V6 and block), head gasket(s) and water pump seal. Even though often neglected, the cooling system is a critical area, because if the engine overheats even one time, you are likely to suffer expensive engine damage.

================

Now, on a related topic, what I would like to know, is why my Toyota factory service manual for my '94 Camry clearly states (and I've read it multiple times because I find it difficult to believe and contrary to most every other opinion I've seen) the factory service manual states they recommend _more_ than fifty per cent ethylene glycol ("not alcohol" they say) but not more than seventy per cent. I know that the water is what cools best, and higher percentage of water improves cooling efficiency. I can only surmise that the Toyota cooling system is highly efficient (the temperature gauge never even reaches the half way point even under extreme ambient temperatures with air conditioning on, in heavy traffic, and my Toyota radiator looks to be twice the size of what I saw on a four cylinder Honda), I can only surmise that Toyota values the anti corrosive properties in protecting the aluminum radiator and engine parts such that they recommend the "more" than 50% but less than 70%, so I've been running exactly, measured carefully 60% Toyota red with no ill effects. Inside of the radiator still looks brand new, and when I recently changed the water pump as preventative maintenance with the timing belt, the water passages were in pristine condition also.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Definitely stay with Toyota genuine coolant. I mixed with regular greenish coolant by mistake. It damaged my water pump, and it had to be replaced.

Reply to
joandjo

A Toyoto dealer will be installing a new radiator that I have purchased from a wholesaler. They are only charging $80 labor plus $16 for Toyota coolant. Could I do better by purchasing the coolant on my own?

Thanks.

Reply to
jdoug6

A Toyoto dealer will be installing a new radiator that I have purchased from a wholesaler. They are only charging $80 labor plus $16 for Toyota coolant. Could I do better by purchasing the coolant on my own?

Thanks.

Reply to
jdoug6

I just purchased a gallon of the coolant you refer to and I paid $12.50 wholesale. The price your being charged reflects their profit markup, and seems within the bounds that is normally charged.

The Toyota coolant is a long life grade and shouldn't be compared to the cost of standard grade antifreeze.

Louis--

********************************************* Remove the two fish in address to respond
Reply to
Louis Bybee