replacement alloy wheel

I am having a heck of a time finding a replacement alloy wheel for my

2004 Camry XLE. The dealer can't give me the correct part number even when searching by VIN number and says it must have come off another vehicle. The funny thing is I have seen it on other Camrys and similar ones on Siennas and Solaras.

Here is a listing on ebay that seems the right one but I'm leery of getting that one since it has a nick on it and the guy doesn't have the best feedback.

It is a five spoke 16" x 6.5 x 4.5(114.3mm) 50 mm offset.

The dealer gave me a part number 42611-AA020 but that's not right. The closest wheels I've found are ALY69575 and PT789C8040 but those are hyper silver and mine is chrome.

Would you buy the one on ebay? Any suggestions welcome.

Reply to
badgolferman

I'd try for finding a part number stamped on the rim you have, should cross to something somewhere. Or it could easily be from one year newer or older, since you saw other cars. You could follow another Camry to a parking lot and write down their VIN to see what wheel the dealer comes up with.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Good grief, I had no idea there were so many different Toyota wheels... I'd buy 4 good used steel ones with plastic hubcaps and be done with it, but here's a whole bunch of Toyota alloy wheels, some of them are pretty expensive for a Toyota,

Fat-Dumb and Happy

Why do you need a replacement? The old one lost or damaged? Specialty shops can safely repair damaged rims very well these days. Also dealer rims can be pricey. You can likely get a set of 4 aftermarket rims for just a little more the the rip off price of a dealer rim. (My guess is you already thought of that and want an OEM rim). Try salvage (junk yards). Oftentimes if one place does not have it, they will look around and find it for you.

Reply to
uncle_vito

I have been to every junk yard around here and they have checked each other's inventories numerous times. The problem is every wheel they come up with is the wide five spoke ones while the one I have is more narrow and tapered.

Apparently the wheel I have came bent when I bought the car used a year ago from the dealer. Now that the tires are worn down the vibration has become very noticeable. The tire shop says they can't balance it so I'm driving around with the full sized black steel spare tire.

I have found the wheel online at several places, but the part numbers are different and the finish is described as either painted silver, chrome or hyper silver. I have sent pictures of what I have to these places and they either never respond or tell me they don't have it in inventory. I am currently making offers to an ebay guy who says he has eight refinished wheels. By this point I'll have to live it if the finish doesn't exactly match what I have.

Reply to
badgolferman

You might discuss it with a rim repair place. Not that you would want to necessarily have them straighten the rim, but they could paint a new rim the correct finish if that was the only issue.

Reply to
uncle_vito

You might try

You can search by car make, model and year, and look at the pictures; but it's a good idea to have the Hollander number for the wheel. The dealer or one of the tire shops should be able to get it for you.

I got a refurbished wheel from them for my 2007 Camry Hybrid for much less than Discount Tire could get one for.

Reply to
Green Eggs & No Spam

Thanks for the suggestion. That site shows the wrong wheel like most other sites. I ended up buying this one:

and just got it today. Hopefully there won't be any problems with the installation. It turns out the finish really is hypersilver and not chrome.

Reply to
badgolferman

my conclusion from all this is that a previous owner/dealer had replaced all four wheels with something not offered on the "2004 Camry XLE". Agree? No? Just conversationally curious.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

I don't agree. I have seen other Camrys with these wheels. The ebay links call it a 2004 Camry XLE also. They just weren't that prevalent for some reason.

Reply to
badgolferman