2001 Toyota Camry LE Steering Wheel whining....

Hi I've got a 2001 Toyota Camry LE and it rides great for the most part. The one problem I have is there appears to be a whining sound coming from the steering wheel or column. It consistenty happens when I turn and drives me crazy. I don't notice it so much if I make a 45 degree turn as much as 90 degree turns. I would not consider it a squeaking sound. Any ideas guys???

Thanks!!!

Reply to
loser_ast

There is a reel that winds and unwinds the wires for steering wheel controls, horn, and airbag as you turn the steering wheel, it looks kind of like a clockspring. The reel may be rubbing up against something. Also look at the gap between the steering wheel and column to see if anything is rubbing. Be very careful when messing with that reel so you do not activate the airbag.

Reply to
Ray O

A little bit of an update I guess. I can hear it from the column under the hood as it heads down towards the tires I really can't tell for sure where it is loudest. It is tough to pinpoint.

Reply to
loser_ast

A sound from under the hood is completely different from a sound from the steering column.

Check the air pressure in your tires.

Check the fluid level in your power steering reservoir, in addition to the other stuff I mentioned.

Reply to
Ray O

I did check the pressure and fluid and it appeared fine. I'm having a mechanic look at it today so I'll give you an update after he's looked at it.

Reply to
loser_ast

Well the mechanic I took it to today said it was the rack and pinsor and said he could fix it for like 900$. I decided to get a 2nd opinion and took it to another mechanic now that one of my friends recommended. This new mechanic doesn't think it is the rack and pinsor just yet but won't have more time to look at it until tomorrow. I will keep u guys informed.

Reply to
loser_ast

I have not heard of or read about many steering rack failures in Camrys and racks generally do not make whining noises. If your friend's mechanic's diagnosis differs from the original one, think about taking it to a Toyota dealer. The technicians there probably know more about Toyotas than any independent shop.

Reply to
Ray O

Perhaps he should look at the rack and pinion then?...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

I actually printed this page out for the 2nd mechanic. I'm not sure if he needed it or not but it ended up being that joint near the firewall that needed lubrication. I just wanna thank everyone who responded to this post!!!!!

Reply to
loser_ast

Glad it worked out!

Reply to