Shock absorbers

How often do you normally need to replace shocks in camry? According to

youshould replace shocks every 50000 miles. Is this acurate? I need to replace mine now, probably way overdue at 246 thousand miles on the odometer and looking for suggestions where to get not expensive but good one (1995/2.2L/4-cyl).

Reply to
Pszemol

mine went hard in cold temps at 50000. 246000 you are way overdue.

Reply to
ransley

Does it really make the difference what brand and what kind I get?

At autozone.com I see "Gabriel ultra" strut (G56502) for $55 each. Universal left/righ? But I see also Bilstein strut (VNE-4833-BK and VNE-4832-BK) different part numbers for driver/passenger side for @120 each. Similar for the rear: Gabriel ultra, this time different part number for left (G55675) and right (G55676) and Bilstein (VNE-4958-BK and VNE-4959-BK). These Bilstein are described as "Touring class ride / Twin tube gas charged strut" - will you be able to tell the difference which ones are installed on the vehicle??

Also, what do I usually need to replace with the struts? Are the coil springs also due for replacement?

Reply to
Pszemol

I found Advanced Auto Parts

having much greater selection with Monroe Sensa-Trac $85 and Gas-Matic $63. They also have KYB Strut: Gas; GR2(R) for $90. Which one to choose?

I am leaning toward $85 Sensa-Trac - what do you think? :-))

Reply to
Pszemol

========= I pulled those out and put in stock. I like stock handling.

Reply to
Daniel

What was wrong with the handling? Would the Monroe-Matic be more similar in handling to stock struts than Sensa-Trac? Where can I read more about the differences between different struts in handling? Is this something you cannot read about but must try and feel for yourself?

Do you have some not expensive source for stock struts?

Reply to
Pszemol

I just did 4 Monroe quick struts on a 95 camry w/263k. The sensatrac has a firm ride and good handling. I got mine from strutmasters for $299 per pair. At that mileage I wanted new springs, bushings etc. which are included on the quickstrut. Only problem was that monroe put the wrong strut in one of the boxes, but it was quickly replaced.

Reply to
m j d
50000 is about right for OEM Keep Your Bilsteins (aka KYB). Gabriel Ultras should last longer and prices are right at Autozone w/ coupon. I'd personally avoid Monroe Sensatrac, but some give good reviews. Reflex is supposed to be good from Monroe. Replace all rubber parts while at it.

Shocks /struts wear gradually, so it's often hard to tell. Kinda like car speakers. Of course, unless you want Bilstein -- check autozone.

Reply to
johngdole

For that year you can get cartridges (same part left/right). so check carefully!!!! Get assemblies instead of cartridges if possible.

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@25g2000hsx.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
johngdole

I think NAPA has the Monroe Reflex, used on Nissan Altimas. Sensatracs are being phased out for the new Reflex. Some (like Monroe) periodically offer satisfaction guarantee (or $50 per corner to swap them out).

Or get the QuickStrut if available for that year (non-cartridge models, with Sensatrac), it's cheaper than getting all the parts.

Reply to
johngdole

Sounds reasonable and the price is lower then I saw... Thanks!

Cool...

Reply to
Pszemol

Why would you avoid Sensatrac?

Can I buy KYB or Gabriel in the strut+spring set like a Monroe Quick-strut? I can get Sensatrac in the whole assembly for $299 a pair.

Reply to
Pszemol

Primarily the grooved piston rod, called IIRC "position sensitive" damping. So if the car is weighted down into the grooved area then the strut's response change. This is in contrast with inertia sensitive multi-stage valving used in modern non-racing struts. See the video (Gabriel clearly hinted at their competitor):

It's being phased out in favor of the new Monroe Reflex strut/shock.

Also, I didn't like the fact that Monroe claimed some oil leaks are normal. I persoanlly don't think modern struts should do that. I much rather they fail dry and stiffened up than soft and leaky. But some people love Fram oil filters too.

However, I would try the new Monroe Reflex with the new impact sensor. This strut is normally firm and then softens up for milliseconds during a harder bump ("impact"). Nissan gained 12-18% stability with this. That said, Monroe mounts are fine.

Some other strut shops:

For all aftermarket struts with lifetime warranty replacements, places like Autozone, Advance, Kragen, Schucks, NAPA etc etc actually come out ahead (turnaround time and shipping cost).

Keep us posted on what you select. Thanks.

Reply to
johngdole

Gabriel has "ReadyStruts" like Monroe's QuickStrut, but model availability vary. Some may prefer the KYB , but many people rather "Keep Your Bilsteins". IMO KYBs are archaic designs not much more advanced than a fixed-orfice valve and better suited for the museum.

That said, $299 a pair of Monroe QuickStruts sounds like a pretty good deal. That's like nearly 50% off assembling your own. It's got lifetime right? So maybe go for it?

Reply to
johngdole

Looking at the prices I am starting to think I need a new car...

Reply to
Pszemol

LOL, those who buy Fram oil filters do so out of ignorance, not because they love them.

Reply to
SMS

What is wrong with Fram filters?

Reply to
Pszemol

"

"

Reply to
SMS

Fram makes a fairly good filter, but it costs about $10.00. It is not the same as the "regular" Fram oil filter.

Reply to
Mark A

Reply to
Pszemol