Strut replacement ?

Lot of clunking in our '99 LE (only 37k miles---???) and I believe it needs struts.

First off, is there anything else I should check that would cause a clunking noise when going over sharp bumps, also slowly over small ones?

If I have to do the struts, a mechanic told me it's only about a six-bolt per strut job, and if I removed them he would use the wall-mounted spring compressor at work to remove the springs and fit them to the new struts--no charge. Then I could re-install them. What kind of work am I looking at?

If I do the fronts only, looks like about $150 in parts. Is it worth the $200 labor to do it myself?

Thanks, Dean ______________________________________-

Reply to
Dean M

Ask your dealer to see if there is a TSB for this car's clunk. It is probably the boot or the support that the strut is attached too. If you've bought tons of toyota's from the dealer, you might try begging for some help from Toyota since the car is so low mileage. I doubt it but never hurts to ask.

Reply to
Art Begun

Have your mechanic check the various bars'bushings before going for the strut transplant.

JP

Reply to
JP

Yes its only about six bolts. Bottom bolts are quite tight and need to be torqued back to same tightness. (Remember the strut is your entire suspension!). I bought Monroe struts and they were over $80 each (complete assembly not just the inserts) add to that the upper mounting/dust boot from Toyota ($30 each). Wasn't there a TSB on the strut plate bearing going bad and talk of free dealer replacement if done under warranty? The back (at least on pre 95 models) require removal of entire rear seat and parcel shelf so you can get to upper bolts. Not hard but takes some time. I've seen dealer quotes of $1200 to replace all 4 and parts are lke $500 plus alignment - so you'd save $600 for 3-4 hours work if you can do yourself. With that low mileage I'd check maybe the bushings first on the sway bars.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Just had my fronts done on my 97 Camry with 170,000 miles. My shocks were worn out. The real problem was the strut towers which were redesigned in 2000. You will need them to stop the noise. They are about $70 each...I bet your struts are fine.

Reply to
ROBMURR