strut replacement

Any benefit to replacing struts on a 1995 I4 LE? Never been done, but no obvious leakage or other symptoms. I would be seeking stiffer, firmer steering and cornering. Also, do you replace the whole mount or just the bearing/bushing? Any brand experiences? I see KYB on the parts sites, which indicates OEM. Thanks.

Reply to
camry-keeper

KYB and uh, nutz, begins with an A, were OEM suppliers. I like the KYB's but they can be stiff.

You say 1995; how many miles? And if they are the ORIGINAL struts, I would definitely replace them! It will feel like driving a new car!

Reply to
HachiRoku

Tokico are the OEM shocks in the US. You'll get better handling/safer handling by replacing them. Usually the ruubber dust boot.mounting isulator need to be replaced at same time @ about $35 each.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Replace the entire assembly. Check the Monroe Quick Strut with mount and coil spring and other new parts that came as an assembly.

Some say Monroes are on the soft side. But for everyday driving you may not need Bilstein or equivalent. KYB I heard some called "Keep Your Bilsteins".

Reply to
johngdole

Thanks for the info all -- at 155,000 and plans to keep the car, I'm looking to refresh the ride. Interior and most of the exterior are excellent...now if I could only find the source of that oil leak -- looks like head gasket area on the left/rear of engine.

Reply to
camry-keeper