sv21 water pupm

Hi, I have a 92 SV21 camry, driving home last night and my car just died at a roundabout and was unable to restart it. After we toed it home noticed that the water pump is actually expelling all the water from the radiator. The water is coming out a small maybe 8mm hole on the face of the water pump. Just wondering what this hole is actually used for :) not sure if i have given an decent description. I can take a photo of it if anyone reckons that'll help :)

thanks all

Michael

Reply to
michael

That hole is designed to drain any coolant which escapes past the pump seal. If it wasnt there, any small amount of coolant which gets past the seal would damage the pump bearing.

In the event a LOT of coolant is coming out of there, it's a sure indication the water-pump seal has failed and a replacement water-pump is mandatory.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

sweet,

thanks mate :)

Reply to
michael

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Absolutely Michael,...it would be a shame for the water -pump to fail just after a belt change. Water-pumps do fail at the most awkward of times and worse, there is no set duty to bank on. Some go early, some go for a long time. If yours is original, I would replace it at the belt-change.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James