water pump question on camry

I went to have my smog checked and the mechanic said to me I have a water pump leak. I changed my water pump about 1 year ago along with the timing belt etc.

Can some tell if there is a leak by just looking? He pointed at something under the hood identifying the leak. I didn't see anything.

Another mechanic said its very hard to tell if there is water pump leak by looking at it. You need to add water to the pump and do something??????

If there is a leak can I go back to the previous shop that replaced my water pump and complain that it shouldn't wear out after 1 year, or he might say the warranty is over??

who is right? Thanks Roger Vaede

Reply to
rogv24

There are primarily two ways a water pump can fail: the bearing wears out or the seal leaks. Usually the seal goes first and cause corrosion to set in, taking out the bearing. Improper belt loads on the pump shaft (bearing) is rare unless the mechanic is not competent, but this will shorten the life of the pump as well. Wrong coolant, tap water or low concentration are not good for your cooling system.

Where is the coolant leak? Under the timing belt valve cover? The pump can leak from the weep hole or at the mounting gasket. Assuming your cooling system is properly filled (no air in the radiator). Does the coolant level in the reservior drop?

Take it back to the original installer of the pump is probably the best bet, especially if you frequent that mechanic. After 1 year, even Toyota will tell you warranty is over ($$$$$).

These import cars need silicate-free coolant. So use Toyota red coolant ($9.99 with coupon) with 50% distilled water only. Now everybody sells only prediluted coolant, and if that's the case (Toyota pink) don't add any water.

Airtex has a video > I went to have my smog checked and the mechanic said to me I have a > water pump leak.

Reply to
johngdole

If it is a Toy pump it should be ok. Aftermarket stuff is junk. Go back to who did it. Over the years Ive had nothing but trouble with after market and I am just a car owner.

Reply to
m Ransley

I would't paint with a broad brush on aftermarket parts. Most are excellent, such as Purolator PureOne, Akebono ProAct ceramic and NGK Iridium, but there are cheap junks if you buy the blue light special in any parts store.

Toyotas don't come with Toyota plugs, they are either NGK or the cheaper Denso with the same aftermarket labeling.

Reply to
johngdole