Weather related stalling problem

My 1984 4 cylinder camry with 80,000 miles on it has developed a stalling problem. This problem only occurs after it rains. The car doesn't have to be driven in the rain, just parked and then the next day it will stall repeatedly but without any difficulty in restarting. This is obviously a weather related problem, my question is what engine, ignition or electrical components should I be looking at in my troubleshooting quest. Thanks for any help you can give me.

snipped-for-privacy@Aol.com

Reply to
Philip Stein

Distributor cap then plug wires and spark plugs. Stick with OEM for all!

Reply to
Wolfgang

Stick with OEM Parts and make sure that the rubber casings on wires are enact and no cuts or breaks in the wire. Also carry a can of WD 40 as the WD is a Water Dispersant and will help to separate the moisture from the wires in an emergency.

Philip Ste> My 1984 4 cylinder camry with 80,000 miles on it has developed a

Reply to
Car Guy

A47478A600D47EB0FF3ADCB6 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Replace the distributor cap and wires. If you going to have a shop do it have them replace the spark plugs and coil pickup/rotor as well.

Distributor caps are notorious for developing harline fracture's over time that are sensitive to moisture and so are wires. For wires I would use the best set money could buy. I tried a stock set and had to junk them shortly after. For the distributor cap I would use a genuine toyota part.

If you are going to the expense of replacing spark plugs yourself invest in the "spitfire" quad platinum plugs at about $5 each.

Regards,

Howard Epste> Stick with OEM Parts and make sure that the rubber casings on wires are

Reply to
Howard Epstein

Very common problem in old Camrys. Ignition coil needs replacement.

CD

Reply to
Cranky Dude

Yup, I second that. I had to replace my coil after about 85,000 miles. Runs like a top ever since.

Andy Arhelger

Reply to
Andy Arhelger

My 93 Camry has the same problem. Is the ignition coil a very expensive thing to fix?

Kathy Ramsey

Reply to
KRamsey