'03 TACO REAR LOCKER

All,

I have an '03 Taco with the TRD package that includes the rear locking differential. In trying to learn the proper operation of the diff. the dealer is clueless. My questions are:

  1. Does the transfer case have to be in 4wd low for the diff. to energize?

  1. Is it normal for the diff. to take 20+ feet of forward motion to engage?

  2. How durable is the diff. when engaged? The manual says less than 5 mph.

Jerry W.

Reply to
gerald whitaker

Yes, if its a 4WD (not a Prerunner)

It will vary, it can take a mile. But if you understood the priciple of a diff locker, you'd turn the wheel and go in a circle, usually within a foot, it will be locked.

Its to be used only if your stuck in 4WD, then as soon as your free, release it.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

The last thing you want to do is drive with the locker engaged. Strictly a tool for getting un-stuck.

Reply to
Dan G

There's nothing technically at risk of driving with it locked really anywhere off pavement. On pavement you risk higher axle loads (meaning nothing) and higher tire wear. I have lots of friends who drive around with spooled rear ends, it's no big deal.

Reply to
Kevin