2001 Double Cab Power Steering

I had to replace a leaking power steering pump today - on my 2001 DC Prerunner with 44,000 miles on it - cost $570. I have had nine Toyotas ranging from an 800 CC sports car in 1968 to my current Prerunner (3 of these have been pickups). Most of these cars/trucks were passed down to my kids and had 150,000 or so miles on them when they were replaced. My daughter still has my 1993 extra cab with 165,000 miles on it. I have never had any problem with a power steering pump before. Naturally, this one had to be after the warranty ran out. The service manager said this was a very unusual problem, and that the 2001s were as reliable as their predecessors. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of someone with it? I buy Toyotas, because I don't have problems with them. I would hate to think that this is just the beginning with this one.

Frank in Fort Worth

Reply to
Frank