gas smel

I have an 86 4x pickup with 22R engine and have a gas sell coming from the engine/carb area, but do not see any gas leaking anywhere. Has anyone noticed this with their truck ?

Reply to
Die Spammer !!!

Is it a fresh gas smell or a semi-burnt smell? All it takes is a drop every minute in the engine compartment and you'll smell it. Since rubber hose is cheap, just replace all the rubber along the fuel line and see if the smell goes away. On a car I had, it had a gas smell, I tried for days to find the leak. Took it to a mechanic and he couldn't find the leak either. After 4 months, it got big enough that I found it.

PM

Reply to
Patrick Moore

ya, it's a fresh gas smell. I will have to check the lines. thanks

Reply to
Die Spammer !!!

Beginning about two or three years ago, there was a persistent odor of gasoline coming from somewhere on my '84 Toyota 4X4 truck with the 22R engine. Eventually someone discovered that the odor was coming from the top of the gasoline tank, which had been perforated by rust. If your truck is rusty, I suggest that you consider that possibility.

Vic Ulmer Duluth, Minnesota

Reply to
Victor D. Ulmer

My 1984 had the fuel smell as well. It turned out to be the fuel sending unit above the gas tank. Apparently one of the lines was rotted out.

Dan

Reply to
dan-senior

Die Spammer !!! wrote: : I have an 86 4x pickup with 22R engine and have a gas sell coming from : the engine/carb area, but do not see any gas leaking anywhere. Has : anyone noticed this with their truck ?

When my 86 did that it was a leaky fuel pump.

-------------------------------- Bob Masse' snipped-for-privacy@PE.NET

--------------------------------

Reply to
kh6zv9

Reply to
sjohnsen

Same thing with my '88 w/22R. Took a while to find it because the gas would evaporate by the time I opened the hood. I was looking for a drip from hose and didn't think to look under the filter...

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

I can't believe I typed that, I meant to say, under the pump...

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM