2005 Highlander MPG low?

I just bought a used 2005 Highlander, 4WD, V-6 3.3L engine. After filling the tank a couple of times I average about 16mpg. It's rating is 18 city 24 hwy, so that's pretty low. Since it's hot the A/C has been on, would that decrease it so much? I should note that the previous owner seemed to keep up with oil changes during the 9 months she owned the vehicle: oil was changed at 5700 miles and again at 11,100 miles according to the two invoices I found in the glovebox. So I don't think the low mpg is a maintenance issue.

Driving is mixed, the usual surburbia-type driving, with speeds raning up to

50 miles per hour. No extended highway driving for comparison yet.

Any ideas, or am I getting a "normal" mpg for this type vehicle? I would have expected a little closer to 20 mpg.

Reply to
DesignGuy

I get about that (actually a little better by almost 2 MPG) on my 03 V6 4L

4Rnr. You can check tire air pressure (go 3-4# over recommended), use synthetic oil in engine, and use premium gas (ECU computer alters timing to compensate for high octane). Take off the roof rack and keep windows wound up. Some tires are better than others for gas mileage too --- look for "energy" tires. Empty all excess stuff in trunk too.
Reply to
Wolfgang

If you use the Go Pedal in an aggressive manner, you will see the mileage numbers you report. I know it boring, but try not mashing the pedals so hard and see what happens. Take off slower, and when the next light is red, lift off the gas and coast. There is no real need to go from 0 to 60 in 4 seconds at every light, the people behind you will be happy with 0 to 60 times closer to 12 seconds. And if the next light is red anyway, what's the rush.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:18:39 -0700, "Jeff Strickland" found these unused words floating about:

Try 'telling' that to the usual idiot, on his/her cell phone behind, who starts honking and flashing lights --- especially if you're in the right (slow) lane!

In most cities, that will get you shot.

Reply to
J. A. Mc.

Then shoot back ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Circuit switches, green light is powered on. Photons of light emit at

282,186,282 miles per second. Time zero

Photon from green light hits retina of driver immediately behind you, short-circuiting brain, retina sends signal to hand. Time: 0.000000101 seconds.

Driver behind you hand hits horn. Time 2.101 seconds

Sound waves from blaring car horn strikes eardrums (painfully). Time

2.1189 seconds

Obviously the same idiots are behind you that are behind me!

Reply to
1 of the Masses

Wolfgang, all things being equal, the use of premium over regular makes much of a difference then? Now that gas is on the rocketship ride to the moon, the difference in price is lower then when gas was under a dollar. So maybe the savings in mileage outweighs the cost difference?

To think I remember when it was a quarter a gallon.

"Wolfgang" wrote in news:5bIYe.50361$Cc5.43277@lakeread06:

Reply to
1 of the Masses

I have a 2001 Highlander, 4WD, V-6 3L engine. It's rated at 18 city and 22 highway. In the city (most of my driving), I usually get right at 18. On the highway, the best that I've gotten is around 21.

- Chuck

Reply to
Chuck G.