4Runner Won't start after head gasket replacement. HELP!!!

Sunday I finally got my 1990 4Runner with a V6 engine back together after replacing the left side head gasket. Before I took it apart 4 of the 6 cylinders had good compression. I replaced the left side head gasket, radiator, water pump, all belts, and some various vacuum lines and hoses I saw to be questionable. The left cylinder head was taken to the machine shop to be cleaned and milled. The shop also did a valve grind and adjusted the valves. I did not remove the right side. Now, none of the cylinders is building compression.

Could someone tell me where to start diagnosing this? Why would the right side not be building compression if it was fine before? What did I do wrong?

Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
KTG, Inc.

For starters, why would you only mill one head when there are 2. If you have no compression most likely you probably don't have the valves set correctly.

Reply to
joe dzurinda

Absolutely no compression: you either forgot to install the timing belt, or have it installed incorrectly.

Fluttering compression: again the timing belt, probably installed incorrectly. Did you follow the alignment and installation procedure? Those marks are pretty critical.

Unless you did more than remove a head, that's the best guess at your problem.

And to echo the comments of another poster: if you have to mill a head, it is often best to mill both, as there can be slight differences in compression after milling, and it is best to balance them. Not critical, but best.

take a look at the timing belt.

good luck! GTr

Reply to
gregory trimper