Hit my side mirror - Taco

Have an 03 Taco. The passenger side mirror took a hit, and the overall mirror housing separated from the the base of the mirror that screws into the door, only moreso towards the front of the truck. The rubber seal was separated as well. The impact came from the front. It doesn't appear cracked where it separated, I'm not sure how it was attached there in the first place. Its not serious, but the mirror itself now is slightly loose, ie, moves about < 1/5 of an inch.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Brad P

The mirror could have a plastic cover that pops off and exposes the screws that hold it on the door. That wouldn't surprise me with Toyota... however...

If the mirror is coming off the door and you can't see external fasteners, most likely you'll have to figure out how the door panel comes off and look inside the door. Be careful, they are tricky... a lot of car manufacturers use hooks on the back to fasten to the door and unsuspecting people yank the door panel off and break the hooks. Fortunately, Toyota seems to have considered that their cars will probably have to be fixed at some point.. so the stuff usually is easy to get apart without breaking it if you take your time (key factor). I think it "probably" has screws in it, then fasteners which "pop" in and out around the edges. You'll most likely have to pop the fasteners out around the edges and then the top part of the door panel with the window seal on it is "most likely" hooked onto the door (lift up, not out). Then there will be a plastic sheet behind the door panel.... Most mechanics will rip this out and throw it away, but this is a very important part of your car to keep it sealed from the weather. Do your best to keep it intact, but you will definitely have to open it up to access the mirror fasteners (if they are inside) I'm just going by past experience here. Apologies if nothing applies to this situation! :)

Reply to
Celica Dude

Thanks for your reply...

I did unbolt the mirror from the door, all that is fine. The bolts are fastened into a plastic base. The base fits into the mirror itself. Its this snug fit that is now apart.

I don't think it cracked at this point because it is very clean. I don't want to remove the whole mirror assembly as like you said, that seal would need to be replaced or re-sealed, until I know more about it.

Cheers

Reply to
Brad P