87 4x4 transmission swap

I just got a used transmission to replace the one in my truck have never replaced a tranny and could really use any insight anyone may have into this process. Any tips will be helpful no matter how small thanks.

Reply to
nevada_matt

I haven't done a toy tranny so what you see in front of you may be different. Basically:

Before start - put truck on 4 jackstands

  1. Disassemble one U-joint on drive shaft
  2. Slide drive shaft out of the rear of tranny and set asside
  3. Unbolt tranny brace holding tranny in place
  4. Remove bolts holding tranny onto bellhousing
  5. Remove shift linkage
6 If shift linkage is internal - remove shifter in cab
  1. Supporting the weight of the tranny on a rolling jack or on your chest

- slide the tranny straight to the rear

  1. After shaft clears the bellhousing - lower jack with transmission or roll tranny sideways off your chest
Reply to
Andrew

Oops. I did not pay attention to the title. A 4x4 will require that you remove the transfer case (I think) prior to pulling the tranny. I've never done a 4x4 so I can't fill you in on this. Good luck!

Reply to
Andrew