'89 22RE - Choke / Idle problem

Doing some routine maintenance, (lubing, changing fluids, etc.), I decided to pull my plugs out, check them and clean them (re-gap 2 of them), checking the cap and sand the rotor contact. I also noticed the O2 sensor was loose and tightened it.

I have no tach, but I know how my engine sounds. Since doing the maintenance, when I start the truck, it starts out at a normal idle (not choked), then after it warms up it climbs to about halfway between a normal idle and a choked idle. Could this have to do with the O2 sensor? What would you do next?

Thanks.

Reply to
Jovis

Does anyone have any ideas?

TIA

Reply to
Jovis

I, like you, would suspect the O2 sensor as none of the other maintence would cause a high idle. I'm not sure but you might be able to get an O2 checked at a parts store, possibly Autozone. Dave

Reply to
davidj92

I have an '85 4runner with the 22RE, 375,000KM.. when the O2 sensor acted up the engine check light would come on, no other symptoms. There is a engine check light decoder plug under the hood, 1/2 way along the left fender. Plug in a shorting wire and then watch the light flash the error code the manual gives the meaning of the flash code. I would remove the sensor and wire brush it clean and it would be ok for 6 months. Then if I drove over 3000rpm for a few KM, it would light up again, go out when I backed down. Finally changed it and been ok for 3 years. I had similiar idle speed problems and I solved that by doing the engine idle / throttle position sensor adjustments. It took me a couple tries to really get it right, you need an ohm meter and it is a delicate adjustment. Normal wear will alter the setting. Could be this, but my O2 sensor didn't affect the idle as you describe it. regards.

Reply to
Guylaine J. Parisien