'94 4Runner air conditioning update

Turns out just as some suspected it was the magnetic clutch coil that was shorting. Got another coil and guess what. If I used the outer snap ring shipped with the new parts the same thing would happen again. This snap ring for the shaft was typical, with the wider portion being in the middle and tapering toward each end WHICH WILL NOT BEAR AGAINST THE BEARING PROPERLY. This allows the bearing to move back and forth and this is what destroyed the coil. Toyota will sell you the correct WAVEY snap ring (check the orientation) for about $2.15. This may save someone a big headache. I wonder how many people have installed this incorrect snap ring and how many are out there with same? Good luck all.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger