'98 Tacoma Fuel Filter Service Interval

I recently bought a '98 Tacoma 2.4L with about 80K miles. No major problems showing, but I'm trying to get my act together regarding normal maintenance. The owner's manual maintenance sked looks pretty normal, except I cannot find any recommended interval for replacing the fuel filter. Is this an accidental omission? Replace it only when it's bad?? Any suggestions from the experts are appreciated. Thanks, ~OC~

Reply to
oc404

Pretty much Lifetime - has a huge capacity for dirt. If you make a habit of running filthy fuel stored in an open drum that has a handful of dirt deliberately mixed in, the sock filter on the pickup arm in the tank will clog first.

It will take a minimum 250K miles to clog the main inline filter. Wouldn't surprise me to go for a Million without a problem - and for most people that qualifies as 'Lifetime'.

I used to off-road a lot so I carried a spare fuel filter with me, based on the Murphy's Law principle that if it's /ever/ going to clog it will happen at the worst possible moment. But for most people don't worry about it till it happens.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Thanks for the quick feedback! Just to be safe, maybe I'll replace it when I hit 1/2 million . It's always nice to have one less thing to worry about...

Thanks again, ~OC~

Reply to
~OC~