Born suckers

As free traders are we being taken for suckers, with the US and Canadian government acquiescing with countries actively acting in bad faith and trading unfairly.

This is from a newspaper article (

Here is the take away from this article...

"Hargrove said four million vehicles were shipped into North America last year, many from countries that don't allow foreign cars to be sold in their markets.

He took special aim at Japan for tariff and other barriers.

"One story is that if you buy an import, right away your income tax is audited," Hargrove said, adding that inspection processes are another way foreign vehicles are kept out of Japan."

It is bad enough that the US guarantees their security at great cost while they build and ship cars from their countries (Japan, Korea specifically) while undermining the North American economy by blocking access to their markets.

Where does fair trade become part of the purchasing decision?

Reply to
tizak

IF American car companies made the best cars and trucks on the market, the foreign car companies wouldn't be so popular in North America.

Really simple....

)

Reply to
Don

If the "American" companies offered what I wanted, without raping me in the wallet, I would have bought one of those. As it was, the *ONLY* truck that had what I needed was my Tundra..... and it was made in the USA.

> )

Reply to
Noon-Air

that's the irony of the op's dumb-ass trolling. japanese companies manufacture quality vehicles here, using locally sourced components. domestics manufacture crap, in mexico and wherever, and use chinese components. and they over-charge. and they cut corners on dangerous stuff like red rear turn signals. then they whine about losing market share! must be run by sociopaths.

>> )

Reply to
jim beam

It's real simple. Americans want a car that *works* predictably and reliably for YEARS. Many, if given that choice, would buy AMERICAN vehicles if they met the criteria.

Sadly, most of the Detroit 3's offerings don't, haven't, and may not ever.

It's hard to remain loyal to any company that costs you regular trips to the repair shop and hundreds or thousands of dollars.

Some of us don't have that kind of scratch to throw around simply to be patriotic (putting everything else aside)....

It's sad. But people will buy what works.

Reply to
S.Lewis

Really? Apparently American buyers think GM and Ford products are better that Toyota, they buy millions more of their vehicles from them than buyers that chose Toyotas LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

And if others in other countries can get what they want right at their own back door, why import junk?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Tell you what, Mike. End of the year, go to a Toyota dealer and count the leftovers.

Then go to a Ford, GM, or Chrysler dealer and do the same.

Shoot...in 2005 when I was working for a Toyota/Licoln-Mercury/Chrysler dealer, we had PLENTY of 2004 Chryslers, a few 2004 Mercurys (we even had a 2001 Grand Marquis!) a *bunch* of Lincoln LS's (which I thought was a nice car...) and a handful of Jeeps.

Do I need to tell you how many Toyotas were left over?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Pay careful attention to the next Tundra commercial you hear...

"...ASSEMBLED in America..."

>> )

Reply to
Hachiroku

jim beam wrote in news:uPudnUMHBP8no2nYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

"must be run by sociopaths."....jim beam

most likely run by bankers and the UAW instead of auto companies.................kjun

Reply to
Kjun

He said foreign car companies, not specifically Toyota. As it is, Toyota is about to overtake GM on their own turf and Ford is spiraling down the drain with record losses.

I know a person who bought a new Corvette and kept it exactly one year. It made numerous trips to the dealership for repairs, which were covered under warranty, but kept the car in the shop for a full month out of the

12 that he owned it. This is GM's flagship sport scar, and they can't even get that right.

Really, name just one car, (not truck), from the top 3 U.S. auto makers that doesn't have a similar but much better foreign offering.

Pat

Mike Hunter wrote:

Reply to
pws

As I said in other posts, if the "Big 3" offered what I wanted, I would have bought one of theirs instead of my Tundra.

Reply to
Noon-Air

I'll give you 2 Mustang GT Ford GT

Reply to
Noon-Air

Using your line of reasoning, liberals have a better "product" than the conservatives. "Proof" is that they were voted in as the majority.

Reply to
Don

LOL! Was this a Freudian? It sure works!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Nissan 350Z

Acura NSX

Reply to
Hachiroku

Haha, I think so, it wasn't consciously intended. That is pretty good, I must admit, my best typo so far.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Let's hear it for the greed, of the manufactures, and labor unions...

Reply to
TOM

Not Mexico or Canada???

Reply to