Did any of you have isues with oxygen sensors?

My 2002 Rav4 has had all 4 replaced and any other emission connected device. I was about to drill out the check engine light. My first went at 90k,

105,112, and 118k. The sensors are my only complaint about that vehicle. Original brakes on rear, exhaust, shocks, and only on second set of tires at 119k, front brakes changed at 91k. I finally replaced the battery after 7 years. To top it off the Rav gets in the summer on trips 28-30 mpg. Toyota builds a good vehicle, unless I am just blessed with a good one.
Reply to
Gh0stRid3r

I had to replace one on the 2001 Land Cruiser, about a year ago at 90k. I have four on my vehicle. I was told by my mechanic, when one starts to fail, the rest are soon to follow.

Reply to
Rastamon

I had about 140,000 on my 98 Tacoma and replaced both of them because everyone (other than the dealer) said I should. No codes, no issues. I replaced them based on this "advice." I think I wasted my money.

Reply to
Fuller Wrath

I bought a 99 Tacoma that had the oxygen sensors replaced twice before, according to the dealers records. I was about to replace them again when I read a post on a forum about a dirty MAS air sensor causing problems. I bought some cleaner from the local parts house and cleaned the sensor, (easy to do) and the problem went away. That was over a year ago. No more check engine light since then.

Reply to
Anyolmouse

I had oxygen sensors replaced 3 times in a 2 week period in my 2000 Tundra about 40,000 miles - 10,000 after my warranty expired. I told the service writer that 3 times in 2 weeks was too many and I shouldn't have to pay for it. He looked it up and found a TSB (no recall) about having a bad batch of oxygen sensors and the warranty on them was extended to 90,000 miles. The third one was fixed for free and I got a refund on the other two. No problems with them since.

Skip

Reply to
Skipfromla

My 1992 Toyota SR5 3VZE has had its "Check Engine" light on for over five years. How does one find the MAS / MAF? Is that the big-ish plastic box that air ducts go into and out of? If so, does one just wash it out with hot water?

Reply to
Desertphile

You don't have a MAS/MAF. But you do have a VAFM, or Vane Air Flow Meter. Much different animal. If you have had a check engine light for 5 years, then you probably don't want me to tell you to go to a mechanic for diagnosis. Just wash it out with really hot water.

dan

Reply to
dan

The domino effect it sounds like. Well it is good to know others had the same experience. I like the vehicle. Just wish Toyota had not changed the Rav so much with the newer models. Strange question, if any of you were to change makes, what vehicle would you buy?

Reply to
Gh0stRid3r

Oxygen sensors, unless you got the cheap crap like others said, usually are victims and not the villains. So like others said, MAP or other things affecting proper fuel metering could damage the sensors. If your RAV4 is running through them like dirty underwear then it may be time to check other parts of the engine. Toyota seems to be having quality problems in recent years.

Ford Escape Compact SUV outsold the Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4 in June

2009. So check them out:

  1. Ford Escape June 2009 Sales: 15,385

  2. Honda CRV June 2009 Sales: 13,720

  1. Toyota RAV4 June 2009 Sales: 10,054

Full list at:

john

Thank you; perhaps that explains why I could not find it. :-) If I could afford to pay a mechanic to read the diagnostic code(s), I could perhaps fix the problem myself. Herding goats pays $200 a month, so that won't happen any time in my lifetime.

Reply to
Desertphile