Generic bearing part # for clutch release bearing?

I noticed many aftermarket manufacturers (including Toyota dealerships) when selling clutch kits (clutch disc,pressure plate and throw out/release bearings) usually charge $30+ for their throw out/ release bearings when you could purchase the exact generic bearing from your local bearings dealer found in your local Yellow Pages.

Anyone know the generic part # stamped on the throw out/release bearing for a 1995 Toyota 4-Runner,22R-E, with what I think is a G58 (5 speed manual Aisin chain driven tranny) tranny as it has auto locking hubs? so that when I need to replace my clutch I can buy one for only $10. I intend to use a NSK or Nachi bearing.

Also does the flywheel REALLY NEED RESURFACING?.Thanks in advance for help/replies.

Sidney(R) (tm) Repairs TV's,VCR's,home/car audio out of my apartment E-mail:sidneybek(at)yahoo.com Dartmouth,Nova Scotia Canada

sidneybek

I don't know the throwout bearing number but you are right that all bearings use a standard numbering convention so that a specific bearing made by any manufacturer will have that number. The manufacturer might have an applications catalog. I recall one of the bearing manufacturers, Timkin I think. used to publish an applications catalog. Maybe you can poke around a manufacturer's website or get in touch with a human being at the company. With respect to the flywheel, obviously if the disc has been worn down below the rivets, the flywheel will be scored and needs machining. Even if not, you need to look at the flywheel surface carefully for signs of glazing or a very slightly corrugated surface. If the clutch has been in there for 100000 miles or more I'd expect it to be glazed and thus in need of machining. I've heard experienced mechanics say that they recommend putting in a new flywheel if the mileage is very high. I think that's over the top. The last flywheel I machined had 190000 miles on it and was not scored, just glazed. No problems since. Good luck. Al

Reply to
al

I usually won't do a simple dimensional conversion unless in light load situations (eg ceiling fan). There are different bearing designs (double row, angular, etc) that have different load carrying ratings. So buy from a catalog. How about on rockauto.com:

KOYO Part # 3123035070 $17.97

TIMKEN Part # 614088 $37.79

BCA/NATIONAL Part # 614086 {Ball Bearing Bore=1.378" Outer Diameter=2.9921" Width=1.5945"} (224mm Clutch) $42.79

CENTERFORCE Part # 590 $43.79

johngdole

NTN is very good. Hardly see any Timken. Many Koyos in imports.

johngdole